Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX gmake[1]: execvp: /bin/sh: Arg list too long Post 302341356 by zxmaus on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 04:26:46 PM
Old 08-05-2009
Only root can raise the ncargs value. In addition please note that tuning to a higher ncargs value puts additional constraints on system memory resources - so make sure your box has a enough free memory or you are running straight into further issues. Default value is 6 - be careful when you change it to a higher value - no need to go directly to the max of 1024.

Kind regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long

I do ls -l ABC*, I get arg list too long message. This will not happen if ABC* has small no of files I believe 4000 files is limit. Any way of avoiding this. I even tried like this for i in `ls -l ABC*` do echo $i done Same problem. Any solution would be great. I am on HP-UX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vingupta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep and Arg list too long

hi everyone, We have a heck of a lot of files in a particular directory and I need to search through all of them to find a list of all files containing particular text strings...one being a date and the other being the name of the report that is printed on the files..... I've tried the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingo
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zcat --> Arg list too long

Hi all I have more than 1000 files in a folder and when ever i use a "compress" or "zcat" command it give error /bin/zcat: Arg list too long. . any solution for this :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execvp:ar:Arg list too long -> while linking

I get this error : execvp:ar:Arg list too long when i am trying to link the .obj files created on unix box. Any resolution to this? Thanks Mohit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohitp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long

when i run the command below in a directory which contains too many files i got the error: ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long ls|grep AA*B* how can i handle this problem? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long

I am using IBM AIX unix version 4.3.3.0. In a directory there are many files with different patterns. When I am trying to execute the command, ls -l with the file pattern, which have fewer files it gives the desired result. However when I am trying to execute the same command for file pattern,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitindrabappa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long

Hi, Help. I have a file that contains a list of users in a file. I want to cat the content of the file and feed it into sed to a preformated report. The error I got is "ksh: /usr/bin/sed: arg list too long" My method below. A=`cat FILE1.txt` B=`echo $A` sed "s#USERLIST#$B#" FILE2 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg list too long

Hello All, I am trying to find a file name with .sh exention from a list of .dat files inside a directory. find /app/folder1/* -name '*.dat'| xargs grep '.sh' ksh: /usr/local/bin/find: arg list too long Please help me finding the command. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
3 Replies
SVC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    SVC(1)

NAME
svc, ci, co, svclog - shell version control system SYNOPSIS
ci [-lu] file co [-l] [-r rev] file svclog file OPTIONS
-l For ci, checkin, checkout again, and lock file -l For co, checkout file and then lock the archive -u After checking in, do not delete the file -r Check out revision rev instead most recent revision EXAMPLES
ci -u file # Check in file co -l file # Check out file and lock archive co -r 2 file # Check out version 2 DESCRIPTION
Svc is the Shell Version Control system, patterned on RCS. It maintains a sequence of versions in archive files, so that new versions can be checked in (added to the archive), and old versions can be checked out (made available). To create an archive for file, check it in with the -u flag. This action will prompt for a log message and then create an archive called file,S in the current directory, or in the subdirectory SVC if it exists. The file will not be deleted, but will be made unwritable. To update the file, check it out with the -l flag. Then modify it, and check it back in, giving a new message when prompted. After this process has been repeated many times, the archive will contain the entire history. Any version can be checked out using the -r flag. To get a printout of the history, use svclog. SVC(1)