Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH Shell script - help with read Post 302341325 by mrtiller on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 01:56:42 PM
Old 08-05-2009
Try using backspace instead of the left cursor key.

When I run it on Cygwin, it does not crash. However, it does not process correctly due to the codes generated by the left cursor key and I get the following:

Code:
./test.sh: line 4: $'cat\E[D\E[D\E[Dratty': command not found

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read double consecutive space in filename for bash shell

Hello, Im using cygwin app which we use the bash shell for scripting. Im trying to read a filename with consecutive spaces on the filename ex: filename<space><space>1.txt ls -lrt filename<space><space>1.txt is working but when I pull that from a file and place it into variable. it reads... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james_falco
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use while loop in bash shell to read a file with 4 lines of gap

Hi , I am currently using the while loop in bash shell, as follows. while read line do echo $line done < file.txt However, i want to use the while loop on file.txt, which will read the file with 4 lines of gap. Ex- if file.txt is a file of 100 lines, then i want to use the loop such... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin bash script and read command

Hello everyone, I am struggling a bit with a batch script that I need to run in cygwin. I work in winXP and I had to write some awk scripts to do some file manipulation, and now I would like to automate the process by just running a batch file so that my colleagues can use it easily. Now, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -n1 -r -p "Press..." key / produces error in bash shell script

Hello! Sorry, for my not so perfect english! I want to stop bash shell script execution until any key is pressed. This line in a bash shell script read -n1 -r -p "Press any key to continue..." key produces this error When I run this from the command line usera@lynx:~$ read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxinho
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read file location

I'm writing a bash script that reads a file location from a user, and I'm wondering how to get the script to accept tab to auto complete the directories that are input. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prodiga1
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep and read function in a BASH Script

I'm putting together a script that will search my mail archives for emails that meet certain criteria and output the files to a text file. I can manually cat that text file and pipe it into sendmail and it will work (i.e. cat /pathtofile/foo.txt | sendmail -t me@company.com) My script sends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Bash Script

I am very new to all these programming languages and really love Linux but have only begun to dive into bash scripting... I am curious what's going on with this script... #!/bin/bash if ; then # xen grep control_d /proc/xen/capabilities >& /dev/null if ; then # domU -- do not run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrianBlaze
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
view(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   view(1)

Name
       view - displays a file using the vi commands

Syntax
       view [-t tag] [-r] [+command] [-l] [-wn] [-x] name...

Description
       The  command  displays a text file.  The command and the command run almost the same code except that in changes to a file are not allowed.
       It is possible to get to the command mode of from within both.

The following is a list of some of the commands. See the vi Beginner's Reference Card and the "Introduction to Display Editing with vi"	in
       the Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User for more details that can be helpful for using

Screen Control Commands

<CTRL/L>	   Reprints current screen.

<CTRL/Y>	   Exposes one more line at top of screen.

<CTRL/E>	   Exposes one more line at bottom of screen.

Paging Commands

<CTRL/F>	   Pages forward one screen.

<CTRL/B>	   Pages back one screen.

<CTRL/D>	   Pages down half screen.

<CTRL/U>	   Pages up half screen.

Cursor Positioning Commands

j		   Moves cursor down one line, same column.

k		   Moves cursor up one line, same column.

h		   Moves cursor back one character.

l		   Moves cursor forward one character.

<RETURN>	   Moves cursor to beginning of next line.

0		   Moves cursor to beginning of current line.

$		   Moves cursor to end of current line.

<SPACE>	   Moves cursor forward one character.

nG		   Moves cursor to beginning of line n.  Default is last line of file.

/pattern	   Moves cursor forward to next occurrence of pattern.

?pattern	   Moves cursor backward to next occurrence of pattern.

n		   Repeats last / or ? pattern search.

Exiting view

ZZ		   Exits

:q		   Quits session.

Options
       -t tag	 Specifies  a  list of tag files. The tag files are preceded by a backslash () and are separated by spaces. The tag option should
		 always be the first entry.

+command  Tells the editor to begin by executing the specified command.	An example would be +/pattern that would search for a pattern.

-l	 Sets the showmatch and lisp options for viewing LISP code..

-r	 Retrieves the last saved version of the name'd file in the event of a system crash. If no file is  specified,	a  list  of  saved
		 files is produced.

-wn	 Sets  the default window size to n.  This option is useful for starting in a small window on dialups.	The -x option is available
		 only if the Encryption layered product is installed.

-x	 Causes to prompt for a key.  The key is used to encrypt and decrypt the contents of the file.	If the	file  has  been  encrypted
		 with one key, you must use the same key to decrypt the file.

See Also
       edit(1), ex(1), vi(1)
       The Little Gray Book: An ULTRIX Primer
       The Big Gray Book: The Next Step with ULTRIX
       "An Introduction to Display Editing with vi" in the Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User

view(1)