Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how to discard instruction from previous signal Post 302341271 by Corona688 on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 11:55:16 AM
Old 08-05-2009
As far as I know there's no way to cancel a signal that's already happened in that fashion. Your code would need to explicitly check whether another signal has happened at the critical point before it writes changes or what have you. A semaphore perhaps could be used to communicate this information; it'd pretty much have to be a semaphore ala sem_wait, that being almost the only signal-safe IPC.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Case Instruction

Hi, this is my script to make a choice between 4 : clear echo " choose a profile and enter a number" echo echo " 1- oraSTT " echo echo " 2- appSTT " echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

2. Solaris

what is that 1 in the instruction!~ (please help fast)

Hi all, make_lofs /.cdrom/<something>/<something> 1 what does this instruction mean? Note:both the "something" are obviously different . I would like to know what that 1 means, the rest of the instruction is clear!! Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed discard chars after last _

Hi, I'd get fields like unix_linux_form_yyyyddmmhhmi.file.txt shell_programming_and_scripting.txt so on... and want them as below unix_linux_form shell_programming_and I could remove everything after a '.' as below echo $field | sed 's/\..*//' but how to remove... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh interrupt read instruction with signal

Dear shell experts, I spent last few days porting ksh script from ksh88/SunOS to ksh93/Linux. Basically, things are going well and I do not have too much troubles porting ks88 script to ksh93, but I stuck on one item. It's about sending and handling the signal. I found two similar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzk
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find pattern and discard lines before it?

Hi all, I'd like to search a file for the first occurence of the phrase "PLASTICS THAT EXPIRE" and then discard all the lines that came before it. Output the remainder to a new file. Operating system is hp-ux. I've searched for usual awk and sed one liners but can't find a solution. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove previous line if next & previous lines have same 4th character.

I want to remove commands having no output. In below text file. bash-3.2$ cat abc_do_it.txt grpg10so>show trunk group all status grpg11so>show trunk group all status grpg12so>show trunk group all status GCPKNYAIGT73IMO 1440 1345 0 0 94 0 0 INSERVICE 93% 0%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp –r instruction

Pleas I want answer to this question? Pleas help me A system administrator suspects that there is an attack on his machine; he needs to make a backup of the files to check when they have been modified. For this purpose he uses the "cp -r" instruction to copy the root directory. What is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamer11007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number some lines discard others?

Hi, I'd like to do an operation on text with a format like this this line shall be numbered this line shall not be numbered this line shall also be numbered this line shall not not be numbered And I want an output like this 1 this line shall be numbered this line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discard part of a file based on a pattern ---

I have the file: s3_T0(2) Pos "1" "2" s1_T1(2) Pos "1" "2" --- 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 --- 1 2 "tau0" 1 2 "h10" I want to patternmatch on --- and get only the third part i.e. 1 2 "tau0" 1 2 "h10" I wanted to start simple but even something like (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagle_fly
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crunch character combination and discard similar content

Hi guys ! I generated the power set of the set S={a,b,c} using crunch: crunch 1 3 abc and get the 39 possible subsets: a b c aa ab ac ba bb bc ca cb cc … (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies
SEM_POST(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       SEM_POST(3)

NAME
sem_post - unlock a semaphore SYNOPSIS
#include <semaphore.h> int sem_post(sem_t *sem); Link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
sem_post() increments (unlocks) the semaphore pointed to by sem. If the semaphore's value consequently becomes greater than zero, then another process or thread blocked in a sem_wait(3) call will be woken up and proceed to lock the semaphore. RETURN VALUE
sem_post() returns 0 on success; on error, the value of the semaphore is left unchanged, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL sem is not a valid semaphore. EOVERFLOW The maximum allowable value for a semaphore would be exceeded. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
sem_post() is async-signal-safe: it may be safely called within a signal handler. EXAMPLE
See sem_wait(3). SEE ALSO
sem_getvalue(3), sem_wait(3), sem_overview(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-13 SEM_POST(3)