Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting chmod for great number of files Post 302341236 by Moumou on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 10:04:01 AM
Old 08-05-2009
thanks a lot Jean-Pierre, you save my life! SmilieSmilie
And maybe you could save me a 2nd time if you say me hox to remove all those files...
I tried
Code:
rm *

but it always says "argument list too long"....

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Numeric CHMOD for .js files

Hello! At present, my .js files are also within the public_html directory. Anyone is able to type the name of these files in their browser address bar and then be presented the javascript (or text) code. What numeric CHMOD should be applied to these, which: Permit the world and group to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users need to chmod on newly ftp'd files

Is there a way to specify 774 permissions for a file uploaded to an app server via ftp without the users logging in and doing a chmod on the file they just put? I understand they were doing this with an old shared account, and it was working. When they started using their own accounts it stopped... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgentile
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with chmod (files only)

hello, i want to chmod 444 all files in a directory, files in subdirs cannot be chmoded same goes for the subdirs themself. So using: chmod -R 444 /dir/ won't work because it will chmod the directorys and files (together with files in subdirectorys) I figured out how to chmod files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TehOne
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod for files and directories

Hi, OS - Unix, linux (all unix flavors) My requirement. To check directory/file exists and then change the permission of the directories/files. Iam trying to start with directory and here is my code in the file totalchange.sh (insideragain - is a directory, test1.txt - is a file under the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply `chmod` for multiple files through FTP

Hi all, Can you please help me in this aspect. I devoloped a FTP script to copy a directory to remote server. Now i got stuck-up in changing the file permissions for all the files in directory. I tried to change the permissions of single file and I did it but failed in changing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

chmod a lot of files

So i have about 600gb of data.. in which there are alot of directories and alot of files.. Im trying to put this on a ftp server.. So i want to set the permissions on the directories to be 755 and the permission on the files to be 644. So i used: find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {}\; and find .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supermiguel
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

chmod on 690k files

I have a folder that contains about 690k files and I need to change their permissions. The challenge is, I have no telnet access and the GUI FTP manager via cpanel just simply fails. I tried doing it via command line ftp but that too, fails saying 'no such file or directory'. My last resort is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: designflaw
11 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod list of files

Hi, I have a list of files in a text file. I want to change the mode of every one of those files, but am having difficulty in doing so. #!/bin/bash files=/home/david/files.txt for $item in $files { chmod 640 $item } .. doesn't cut it. Can anyone help? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidm123SED
7 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)