Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris JumpStarting?... Simple Yes/No Question... Unless the answer's 'No' Post 302340967 by Bradj47 on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 08:21:58 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Question Solaris JumpStarting?... Simple Yes/No Question... Unless the answer's 'No'

I'm reading through this guide, BigAdmin Feature Article: Using Solaris JumpStart With the Solaris 10 OS for x86/x64 Platforms, and I was wondering if there was more to the bash scripts than just the example given (see above link) like for begin1 and begin2 and finish1 and finish2. I don't know anything about bash scripting OR JumpStarting so I'm all new to this. The scripts seem so short and all they do is 'echo' things (I'm guessing that means print things to the screen). Is that really all I need in these scripts for JumpStart?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A question that need an answer Plz

I'm with FreeBSD 4.6.2, and i would like to know how to install this ports : ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/net/kmerlin There's no .tgz so i can't do the pkg_add command. Can you please help me??? Thank You. :) Erythro73 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erythro73
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 server and Jumpstarting 2.6 clients

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have successfully configured a Solaris 8 server with Jumpstart! I can Jumpstart Solaris 8 client systems with no problem. My configuration is as follows: Jumpstart Server: Solaris 8 patched with Recommended Patches from June 05. I have installed Solaris 8 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stupid question but please answer

How do i save a script in unix. do i just type something like #!/bin/sh # This is a comment! echo Hello World #This is also a comment Then just go to save as and save it or what? just kinda confused me as i was reading different things and playing around (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically answer a question raised by a command

i have installed vmware on a text base linux node now i have to vmware-configure.pl to do the initial configuration now 1st step it askes for agreeing for a " License Agreement" for that i have to say "q" and "yes" to Accept it i want to run a script with does these 3 steps... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, i need an answer to this question!!

Hello!! I need some help about a question... It was asked in exams 3 years ago in Greece and nobody is certain abou the answer. Others say that the right answer is b and others say c. I found this forum and i saw that you know a lot of things about UNIX so i hope that some of you will help me.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evoula_vou
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR question (probably a very simple answer)

Hi All, I have a (probably) very simple tar question on a Solaris box that I'm a little embarrassed to ask. After repeatedly checking man tar and searching for solutions online (I'm not sure of the correct "keywords" to look for) The question is: If I were to use the command:tar cf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD