Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash Shell script--need help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Shell script--need help Post 302340881 by peterro on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 02:29:06 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Add set -x to the script just after your bash definition to see some debugging output, you'll probably be able to find where you're making incorrect calculations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with bash shell script

Hi guys! I have just started with shell programming!! I am having pronblem with variable subsitutuion. when i do egrep "*" marks this will give me the pattern match. but how can i catch the output of that result in a variable. if i say result = egrep "*" marks it gives me syntax... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmtailor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash shell script

Hi Guys, I am trying to alter a script for my company. I need the start of it to go something like this. User is asked to input 8 numbers 8 numbers are written to a txt file ***** ***** ***** txt file is read ***** ***** The text file gets read in between other files represented by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: outthere_3
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script- help

I need to invoke a program on remote server using ssh in a shell script. In addition i would like to capture date/time and if there is any errors , then script should write to log file. can someone please help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam101
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with bash shell script

Hi, I have a file in which records contains non ascii characters. The records are comma delimited and quoted. The non ascii characters are found in a particular column. Example records "YY","AK000021","Ã","IO","PP" "Y1","AK000022","Ã","PO","PP" "Y2","AK000022","Ã","PO","PP" I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshu.agni
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script

HELP!My program ends after entering one choice---need help making it take multiple inputs,instead of terminating after displaying just one #!/bin/bash# Crude address databaseclear # Clear the screen.echo " Contact List"echo " ------- ----"echo "Choose one of the following... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: help123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with bash shell script

I need to create digit day script that takes a single numeric argument and then it should print out the day of the week using the number modulo 7 formula e.g: 0 - Sunday 6- Saturday 131 - Friday I am fairly new to unix so I don't know how to use the number modulo 7 formula. Does the script need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lukefrost96
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash shell script

Hi All, I have a script which as below #!/bin/bash for i in `cat servers` do ssh uname@$i "df -t xfs --total | grep total"; done > out.txtOutput as below -------------- total 140583991104 118622795524 21961195580 85% - total 140583991104 112888595524 27695395580 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)