Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file Post 302340759 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 09:30:57 AM
Old 08-04-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remove those characters before the printf statement with:

Code:
gsub("[()-]","",$5)

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace only first found white spaces with some other characters

Anybody can help me How can I replace only four first white spaces with , or any other characters aaaa 08/31/2004 08/31/2009 permanent Logical Processors in System: 64 bedad 08/16/2001 08/15/2011 permanent Logical Processors in System: 64 badnv14 05/31/2008 05/30/2013 permanent Logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: removing all white spaces

'String' file contains the following contents, D11, D31, D92, D29, D24, using ksh, I want to remove all white spaces between characters no matter how long the string is. Would you please give me some help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoonius
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help with using tr - Removing white spaces

Hi, I have a file that contains whitespaces with spaces and spaces and tabs on each line and am wanting to remove the whitespaces. My version of sed is one that does not recognize \t etc. The sed and awk one-liners below that I found via Google both does not work. So my next best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

5. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing leading spaces from one field in comma seperated file

Using awk or sed, I'd like to remove leading spaces after a comma and before a right justified number in field 6. Sounds simple but I can't find a solution. Each field's formatting must stay intact. Input: 40,123456-02,160,05/24/2012,02/13/1977, 10699.15,0 Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
5 Replies

7. Linux

File conversion and removing special characters from a file in Linux

I have a .CSV file when I check for the special characters in the file using the command cat -vet filename.csv, i get very lengthy lines with "^@", "^I^@" and "^@^M" characters in between each alphabet in all of the records. Using the code below file filename.csv I get the output as I have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank/white spaces and special characters

Hello All , 1. I am trying to do a task where I need to remove Blank spaces from my file , I am usingawk '{$1=$1}{print}' file>file1Input :- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ; Output:- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ;This command is not removing all spaces from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing special chars from file and maintain field separator

Running SunOs 5.6. Solaris. I've been able to remove all special characters from a fixed length file which appear in the first column but as a result all subsequent columns have shifted to the left by the amount of characters deleted. It is a space separated file. Line 1 in input file is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iffy290
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing White spaces from a huge file

I am trying to remove whitespaces from a file containing sample data as: 457 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> Mar 31 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> system <EORD> 458 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM<EOFD>agf <EOFD> Apr 20 2007 9:10:56:036PM <EOFD> prodiws<EORD> . Basically these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
11 Replies
set_uformat(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					      set_uformat(3alleg4)

NAME
set_uformat - Set the global current text encoding format. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> void set_uformat(int type); DESCRIPTION
Sets the current text encoding format. This will affect all parts of Allegro, wherever you see a function that returns a char *, or takes a char * as a parameter. `type' should be one of these values: U_ASCII - fixed size, 8-bit ASCII characters U_ASCII_CP - alternative 8-bit codepage (see set_ucodepage()) U_UNICODE - fixed size, 16-bit Unicode characters U_UTF8 - variable size, UTF-8 format Unicode characters Although you can change the text format on the fly, this is not a good idea. Many strings, for example the names of your hardware drivers and any language translations, are loaded when you call allegro_init(), so if you change the encoding format after this, they will be in the wrong format, and things will not work properly. Generally you should only call set_uformat() once, before allegro_init(), and then leave it on the same setting for the duration of your program. SEE ALSO
get_uformat(3alleg4), register_uformat(3alleg4), set_ucodepage(3alleg4), set_uformat(3alleg4), uconvert(3alleg4), ustrsize(3alleg4), ugetc(3alleg4), ugetx(3alleg4), usetc(3alleg4), uwidth(3alleg4), ucwidth(3alleg4), uisok(3alleg4), uoffset(3alleg4), ugetat(3alleg4), use- tat(3alleg4), uinsert(3alleg4), uremove(3alleg4), allegro_init(3alleg4), exunicod(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 set_uformat(3alleg4)