Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: formatting the fields
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting formatting the fields Post 302340675 by zaxxon on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 07:29:06 AM
Old 08-04-2009
Nvm.

Example:
Code:
echo "(0124)-23456"| awk '{gsub(/[()-]/,""); print}'

So in your awk line you might change following part:
Code:
... $2,$3,$4,(gsub(/[()-]/,"",$5)),$6,$7,...

Have currently no example to test it but it should be alike, sorry.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-04-2009 at 09:34 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting fields of a file

I have a file with n number of cols. I need to modify the size of each field. it may be either increase or decrease the present size of the field. can anybody help me in this plz thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolvi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting Multiple fields on 1 line to multiple rows

I'm trying extract a number of filename fields from a log file and copy them out as separate rows in a text file so i can load them into a table. I'm able to get the filenames but the all appear on one line. I tried using the cut command with the -d (delimiter) option but cant seem to make it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sinbad-66
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add fields in different files only if some fields between them match

Hi everybody (first time posting here) I have a file1 that looks like > 1,101,0.1,0.1 1,26,0.1,0.1 1,3,0.1,0.1 1,97,0.5,0.5 1,98,8.1,0.218919 1,99,6.2,0.248 2,101,0.1,0.1 2,24,3.1,0.147619 2,25,23.5,0.559524 2,26,34,0.723404with 762 lines.. I have another 'similar' file2 > ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: murpholinox
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting and combining fields of the input file

Hi, I have a file of the following format: AV 103 AV 104 AV 105 AV 308 AV 517 BN 210 BN 211 BN 212 BN 218 and the desired output is : AV 103-105 3 AV 308 1 AV 517 1 BN 210-212 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - compare 1st 15 fields of record with 20 fields

I'm trying to compare 2 files for differences in a selct number of fields. When differnces are found it will write the whole record of the second file including appending '|C' out to a delta file. Each record will have 20 fields, but only want to do comparison of 1st 15 fields. The 1st field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sljnk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print . in blank fields to prevent fields from shifting

The below code works great, kindly provided by @Don Cragun, the lines in bold print the current output. Since some of the fields printed can be blank some of the fields are shifted. I can not seem too add . to the blank fields like in the desired output. Basically, if there is nothing in the field... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)