Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting store the output of "find" command in a variable? Post 302340644 by punitpa on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 06:22:04 AM
Old 08-04-2009
zaxxon

Code:
find / -type f -name "${INPUT}" -print

above command takes a long time to search and prints every thing (can not find .... results also )
here i need to find the only one successfull result

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-04-2009 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Find command work with a variable passing "*" value?

Hi guy, I have a problem to pass a variable containing '*' value to FIND command. below is the script. It doesn't work by submit below command: rmf.sh name '*.txt' or rmf.sh name *.txt I've tried either optn="-name '$2'" or optn="-name $2"., and there is no luck. ### (script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unxuser
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the output of "time dd if= of=" in a variable

Hi All, I need to store the real seconds of the following command in a variable. How could it be done? time $(dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=2048;sync) Thanks, Amio (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store Host lookup in variable ("on the fly")

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why I can't store a host lookup in a variable. for line in $(< blacklist) do STOREIP=host $line; if ]; then $line >> blacklist2; else $line >> blacklist3; fi done Result: "ip" command not found .. so how would I store the host lookup in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sOliver
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to store "python --version" to a shell variable

Hi All, I need to get the version of python installed and store it in a variable for later use. Whereas it is printing on the console instead of storing to variable. I am able to store output of ls command in a variable. Please check the below code : root@myhost:/volumes/srini# cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan.neel
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I redirect output from "find", either to a file or another command?

I'm trying to find out what happened to the rogue game that apt-get told me it installed, so I thought I would find the file. I went to the root and entered: find -name "rog*.*" I get a large number of lines saying my access is denied in various directories. I figure I'll practice my Unix... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghvark
14 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)