Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting building output file from multiple input files Post 302340589 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 03:32:04 AM
Old 08-04-2009
It's complicated to do this in one awk command with many arrays, it's more clarifying to split this in more steps:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1];next}
$1 in a
' fileA fileB > temp

awk 'NR==FNR{a[$2]=$0;next}
$1 in a {print a[$1], $2}
' temp fileC > temp1

awk 'NR==FNR{a[$3]=$0;next}
$1 in a {print a[$1], $2}
' temp1 fileD

rm temp temp1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple files by reading a input file and changing the contents

Being new to this area .I have been assigned a task which i am unable to do . Can any one please help me . Hi I have requirement where i have input file XYZ_111_999_YYYYMMDD_1.TXT and with header and series of Numbers and Footer. I want to create a mutiple output files with each file having a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavkr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add data from 2 input files and save it in 1 output file

Hi, i have 2 input files which are file1.txt and file2.txt. I need to extract data from file1.txt and file2.txt and save it in file3.txt like example below:- File1.txt ID scrap1 Name scrap1 start 1 end 10 ID scrap2 Name scrap2 start 11 end ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on the input pattern

I have a file with lines something like. ...... 123_start ...... ....... 123_end .... ..... 456_start ...... ..... 456_end .... ..... 789_start .... .... 789_end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ftp multiple files by taking the file name from a input file.

Hi, I'm working on a script which has to copy multiple files from one server to another server. The list of files that are to be copied is present in a file say input.txt. vi input.txt abc.c welcome.c new.c welcome1.c for ftp'ing a single file say 'new.c' the following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split: File into multiple and keeping the same 3 lines from input into all output files

The following code will split the infile into multiple files. However, I need it to insert the same first 3 lines from the original input file into each splitted file. How do I modify my script below to do so: print -n "Enter file name to split? " ; read infile if then echo "Invalid file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace in Multiple Files by reading a input file

I have a environment property file which contains: Input file: value1 = url1 value2 = url2 value3 = url3 and so on. I need to search all *.xml files under directory for value1 and replace it with url1. Same thing I have to do for all values mentioned in input file. I need script in unix bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a file to multiple other files using a text file as input

Hello, I have a file called COMPLIST as follows that contains 4 digit numbers.0002 0003 0010 0013 0015 0016 0022 0023 0024 0025 0027 0030 0031 0032 0033 0035 0038 0041 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sph90457
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a dynamic UNIX menu with input files

Hi! I am looking to build dynamic menu (named: lookup.sh) that reads a pipe delimited file for input. for example, contents of input.txt could be: user1|srv1 user3|srv1 user4|srv1 user2|srv2 I want the menu look like: 1) get password for user1 on srv1 2) get password for user3 on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)