Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed replace multiple occurrences on the same line, but not all Post 302340494 by ppucci on Monday 3rd of August 2009 03:09:21 PM
Old 08-03-2009
sed replace multiple occurrences on the same line, but not all

Hi there!

I am really enjoying working with sed. I am trying to come up with a sed command to replace some occurrences (not all) in the same line, for instance:

I have a command which the output will be:

Code:
200.300.400.5 0A 0B 0C 01 02 03

being that the last 6 strings are actually one MAC address

I wanted to re-write the output of the command so it will come out like this:

Code:
200.300.400.5 0A0B.0C01.0203

Considering space " " as a delimiter, it will ALWAYS join 2nd and 3rd fields, then replace " " with "." between 3rd and 4th fields, join 4th and 5th fields, replace " " with "." between rth and 6th fields.

It can be something other than sed as well.

It is a bonus if the script also transform "CAPS" into "small caps"

Code:
200.300.400.5 0a0b.0c01.0203

Cannot find how to make sed replace certain occurrences on the same line! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does Sed Search/Replace Work For Multiple Matches On The Same Line?

Hello, I would like to delete all the footnotes in all my htm files. Hence, I have to delete the whole font tag pairs, i.e. deleting everything between the begin/end font tags. I create a testfile, of which data parts of all four lines are the same except for the number of font tag pairs,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cibalo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED : Replace whole line on multiple execution

Hi, I am have one file with a line group=project_live I need to replace it with line group=project_live_support before I execute some application related script. The potentianl problem is when I replace this with sed using command sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replace using same pattern repeating multiple times in a line

Sed replace using same pattern repeating multiple times in a line I have text like below in a file: I am trying to replace the above line to following How can I acheive this? I am able to do it if the occurrence is for 1 time: But If I try like below I am getting like this: I have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values in script reading line by line using sed

Hi all, Let's say I have a script calling for the two variables PA_VALUE and PB_VALUE. for pa in PA_VALUE blah blah do for pb in PB_VALUE blah blah do I have a text file with two columns of values for PA and PB. 14.5 16.7 7.8 9.5 5.6 3.6 etc etc I would like to read this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsonengineer
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed REGEX to print multiple occurrences of a pattern from a line

I have a line that I need to parse through and extract a pattern that occurs multiple times in it. Example line: getInfoCall: info received please proceed, getInfoCall: info received please proceed, getInfoCall: info received please proceed, getInfoCall: info received please proceed,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidhyaprakash
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete multiple occurrences of the same pattern on a line but the first

The lines that I am trying to format look like Device ID: j01-01, IP address: 10.10.10.36, IP address: 10.10.10.35, IP address: 10.10.102.201, Platform: 8040, Capabilities: Host , Interface: GigabitEthernet9/45, Port ID (outgoing port): e0k,Here is what I have so far but it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)