Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script grep help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script grep help Post 302340422 by shriyer on Monday 3rd of August 2009 10:42:55 AM
Old 08-03-2009
Both of the solutions work, but they are hardcoding according to the current output.

Lets say, we dont know how many kmem_*'s are gonna be there in the op, then head -4 wont work..

If segkmem_* is not the only string with kmem included in it, then my result array will include more elements than i need...

??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep in a Shell Script

Hi everyone, Im trying to write a Shell script that basically creates a set of files based on a file with many records. For example if a file called dummy has the following content: a.txt 1st line of a's text file 2nd line of a's text file 3rd line of a's text file b.txt 1st line of b's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep, sed in a shell script

Hi, I have a problem with a simple script I am trying to write. I want a user to type grep, sed commands that are then stored in variables. Those variables are stored in a function, and the function is then called to execute the commands. The idea is that the user does it step by step. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trufla
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep in Shell script

Hello I do want to write a script which will check any errors say "-error" in the log file then have to send email to the concern person . And the concern person will correct the error . Next time if the script runs eventhough the error has been corrected it will ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Krishnaramjis
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or Tail in shell script

Hi, I am writing a shell script that checks catalina logs on a production system and mails me if it detects errors. It greps the logs for known errors which i have defined as variables. The problem is the logs are huge, approx 30,000 before they rotate. So I am forced to use grep instead... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command in shell script

Hi, I have written the following shell script - Error_String="error" var1="| grep -v note1 | grep -v note2" grep -i $Error_String /users/mqm/Pwork/Err/*.out $var1 The above script gives error saying "grep: can't open | grep: can't open grep grep: can't open -v" etc In my program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannasupp
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script to Grep

Hi guys, I have written this script, however the outcome is invalid. It contains grep search that is not needed: Script: #!/bin/bash #this is a test script FILES=$(ls /home/student/bin/dir1/*) GREPFUNC=$(grep -E -i "login|Successfully" ORProxyTC`date '+%m%d%Y'`*.txt/ ${FILES})... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sql error in shell script and exit the script?

I need help in the following script. I want to grep the sql errors insert into the error table and exit the shell script if there is any error, otherwise keep running the scripts. Here is my script #!/bin/csh -f source .orapass set user = $USER set pass = $PASS cd /opt/data/scripts echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script with Grep

Hi guys - below is my script that is checking for current file, size and timestamp. However I added a "grep" feature in it (line in red), but not getting the desired result. I am trying to acheive in output: 1. Show me the file name, timestamp, size and grep'ed words It would be a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep in Shell script

hi guys very new to this game so excuse my ignorance. I need to create a script that simply greps for a text string and then outputs a message depending on whether the text string is there or not. The script I have setup is below, but whenever I run it I get the following error: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ap2112
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speeding up shell script with grep

HI Guys hoping some one can help I have two files on both containing uk phone numbers master is a file which has been collated over a few years ad currently contains around 4 million numbers new is a file which also contains 4 million number i need to split new nto two separate files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
4 Replies
array(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  array(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
array - Manipulate array variables SYNOPSIS
array option arrayName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs one of several operations on the variable given by arrayName. Unless otherwise specified for individual commands below, arrayName must be the name of an existing array variable. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: array anymore arrayName searchId Returns 1 if there are any more elements left to be processed in an array search, 0 if all elements have already been returned. SearchId indicates which search on arrayName to check, and must have been the return value from a previous invocation of array startsearch. This option is particularly useful if an array has an element with an empty name, since the return value from array nextelement won't indicate whether the search has been completed. array donesearch arrayName searchId This command terminates an array search and destroys all the state associated with that search. SearchId indicates which search on arrayName to destroy, and must have been the return value from a previous invocation of array startsearch. Returns an empty string. array exists arrayName Returns 1 if arrayName is an array variable, 0 if there is no variable by that name or if it is a scalar variable. array get arrayName ?pattern? Returns a list containing pairs of elements. The first element in each pair is the name of an element in arrayName and the second element of each pair is the value of the array element. The order of the pairs is undefined. If pattern is not specified, then all of the elements of the array are included in the result. If pattern is specified, then only those elements whose names match pat- tern (using the matching rules of string match) are included. If arrayName isn't the name of an array variable, or if the array contains no elements, then an empty list is returned. array names arrayName ?pattern? Returns a list containing the names of all of the elements in the array that match pattern (using the matching rules of string match). If pattern is omitted then the command returns all of the element names in the array. If there are no (matching) elements in the array, or if arrayName isn't the name of an array variable, then an empty string is returned. array nextelement arrayName searchId Returns the name of the next element in arrayName, or an empty string if all elements of arrayName have already been returned in this search. The searchId argument identifies the search, and must have been the return value of an array startsearch command. Warning: if elements are added to or deleted from the array, then all searches are automatically terminated just as if array done- search had been invoked; this will cause array nextelement operations to fail for those searches. array set arrayName list Sets the values of one or more elements in arrayName. list must have a form like that returned by array get, consisting of an even number of elements. Each odd-numbered element in list is treated as an element name within arrayName, and the following element in list is used as a new value for that array element. If the variable arrayName does not already exist and list is empty, arrayName is created with an empty array value. array size arrayName Returns a decimal string giving the number of elements in the array. If arrayName isn't the name of an array then 0 is returned. array startsearch arrayName This command initializes an element-by-element search through the array given by arrayName, such that invocations of the array nex- telement command will return the names of the individual elements in the array. When the search has been completed, the array done- search command should be invoked. The return value is a search identifier that must be used in array nextelement and array done- search commands; it allows multiple searches to be underway simultaneously for the same array. | array unset arrayName ?pattern? | Unsets all of the elements in the array that match pattern (using the matching rules of string match). If arrayName isn't the name | of an array variable or there are no matching elements in the array, then an empty string is returned. If pattern is omitted and is | it an array variable, then the command unsets the entire array. KEYWORDS
array, element names, search Tcl 8.3 array(n)