Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shifting of lines in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shifting of lines in a file Post 302340307 by zaxxon on Monday 3rd of August 2009 07:27:06 AM
Old 08-03-2009
As radoulov always says:

Quote:
Use gawk, nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra/parse lines from a file between unque lines through the file

I need help to parse a file where there are many records, all of which are consistently separated by lines containing “^=============” and "^ End of Report". Example: ============= 1 2 3 4 End of record ============= 1 3 4 End of record Etc.... I only need specific lines... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jouuu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shifting space from one partition to other

hi My System is Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Solaris Partition Info is /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var 27G 25G 1.2G 96% /var /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/oravol 110G 54G 56G 49% /export/home I want to shift space 20G from /export/home to /var What should be the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shifting result of echo by specific amount

I am using echo "HELLO" I want to specify a number shiftWt so that I move hello forward by shiftWt charcaters. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert and shifting data at column

Hi all, i have data like this joe : 1 :a bob : 2 :b sue : 3 :c foo : 4 :d at column 2 i want to insert TOP to the top column and at column 3 i want to insert BOTTOM to the bottom column. and the result will... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychop13
12 Replies

5. Programming

Shifting text

I have the following functions which shifts the text by 4 and 8 characters. How can I pass an integer for the shift so that the text is shifted accordingly? void prValue4_vd ( FILE* stream, // name of output stream const char* value, // value associated with argument... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with blanks, shifting the row when using awk

Hello, I have files with fixed length fields. 12345 12345 12345671234567 10 1234567 12345 12345 123456 1234567 10 1234567 I want to take 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th string. Usually 3rd and 4th string are coming as it is on the first row /1234567 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print . in blank fields to prevent fields from shifting

The below code works great, kindly provided by @Don Cragun, the lines in bold print the current output. Since some of the fields printed can be blank some of the fields are shifted. I can not seem too add . to the blank fields like in the desired output. Basically, if there is nothing in the field... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fields shifting in file, do to null values?

The below code runs and creates an output file with three sections. The first 2 sections are ok, but the third section doesn't seem to put a . in all the fields that are blank. I don't know if this is what causes the last two fields in the current output to shift to a newline, but I can not seem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all lines in file such that each word on that line appears in at least n lines of the file

I have a file where every line includes four expressions with a caret in the middle (plus some other "words" or fields, always separated by spaces). I would like to extract from this file, all those lines such that each of the four expressions containing a caret appears in at least four different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uncleMonty
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shifting of data because of special characters

Hi Forum. I have a unique problem that I'm hoping someone can assist me. I'm generating a fixed width file and one of the output column (person_name at col. pos.#483 defined as string(36) sometimes contains french characters in the name and it causes the next column of data to shift to the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)