Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop Post 302340118 by ViperChief on Sunday 2nd of August 2009 06:05:27 PM
Old 08-02-2009
I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu. Tried it a few times. Right now, I have OpenSUSE installed, as I think it's one of the more nicely done distros. Arch is also installed. I also have FreeBSD, which I just installed. I have OpenSolaris installed, also, but haven't tackled WPA on it, yet.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect laptop to Unix system via Parallel port

Hi, I have been using a computer to keep track of inventory for my business. I am pretty sure it runs on Unix. In the back of the computer there is some sort of PCI card that has about 8 RJ-11 ports on it. I use that card to connect the Unix system to my 3 VT-220 terminals. I use a simple 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john202
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount CD from local laptop to UNIX server remotely

I need some help in emergency. I want to add some software package from Solaris 10 CD remotely to UNIX Sparc machine. I can remotely access into the machine. Question is: how do I insert Solaris 10 CD in my laptop, then mount to UNIX machine remotely and add software package. Please give me the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Laptop for unix

I like Unix systems very much. Is there possibility, to buy new modern laptop (something like core i7 3.0GHz, ATI/NVIDIA graphic card with 1024MB, 8GB of RAM) on which I will be able to install Unix systems like BSD and Solaris and use mic and cameras and all stuff with this systems? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
Intro_jfp(7)						   Device and Network Interfaces					      Intro_jfp(7)

NAME
Intro_jfp, intro_jfp - introduction to JFP special files DESCRIPTION
This section describes various device and network interfaces available on the system. The types of interfaces described include character and block devices, STREAMS modules, network protocols, file systems, and ioctl requests for driver subsystems and classes. This section contains the following major collections:(7I) This section describes ioctl requests which apply to a class of drivers or subsystems. Ioctl requests relevant to only a specific device are described on the man page for that device. The page for the device in question should still be examined for exceptions to the ioctls listed in section 7I.(7M) This section describes STREAMS modules. Note that STREAMS drivers are discussed in section 7D. streamio(7I) contains a list of ioctl requests used to manipulate STREAMS modules and interface with the STREAMS framework. Ioctl requests specific to a STREAMS module will be discussed on the man page for that module. SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), rem_drv(1M), intro(2), ioctl(2), socket(3SOCKET), driver.conf(4), intro(7), arp(7P), icmp(7P), inet(7P), ip(7P), mtio(7I), st(7D), streamio(7I), tcp(7P), udp(7P) STREAMS Programming Guide Writing Device Drivers LIST
Name Description Intro_jfp(7) introduction to JFP special files jaio(7I) interface to Japanese I/O modules jconv7(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (7-bit JIS/Japanese EUC) jconv8(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (8-bit JIS/Japanese EUC) jconvrs(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (Japanese EUC/PC kanji) jconvru(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (Japanese EUC/UTF--8) jconvs(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (PC kanji/Japanese EUC) jconvu(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (UTF-8/Japanese EUC) SunOS 5.10 7 Dec 1999 Intro_jfp(7)