Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell variables advanced
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell variables advanced Post 302340024 by edidataguy on Saturday 1st of August 2009 10:51:12 PM
Old 08-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
The -1 as an argument to ls is pointless if you are piping the result.

Anyway:
Code:
for file in *.mp3 ; do
      mv "$file" "${file##* }"
done

Not that it affects the command in any way, but yes, the "-1" is not required.
I generally prefer 1 liner to run on the prompt and most of the requests are for that.
But, I do like your approach too.

---------- Post updated at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edidataguy
If all that you are trying to do is just rename the file,
then this is a simple and straight solution.
Code:
ls -1 | sed 's/.*\(track.*$\)/cp "&" \1/' | ksh

Doesthis solve your issue?
Or is it necessary it has to be done your way?
Are you sure you gave the quotes in the "&"?
Ok. First try this and see what comes out:
Code:
ls *track* | sed 's/.*\(track.*$\)/cp "&" \1/'

If that looks good then try this:
Code:
ls *track* | sed 's/.*\(track.*$\)/cp "&" \1/' | ksh

But if you are not looking for an one liner, then the codeby Reborg looks more simpler.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell variables In awk

Oh its not my day for syntax... cat gzipsize.txt | awk '{print "echo",$1,$2} > master.txt I have read a lot about the awk -v but haven't been able to get it to work. I have a variable in my script and I'm looking just to push it into the awk after the $2 (or anywhere would do)!!! Every... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in shell

hi, i'm new in shell scripting and i'm working on bash on solaris 5.9 after try many stuff with unexpected results, i wonder: it is not posible in bash, to use a variable that was created inside a loop, out of it? i mean, for instance: cat mytext | \ while read text do viko=$text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viko
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video. I don't know in which thread I should post this question.Plz help me out, or just tell me the link in the reply to this post. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 shell variables

Would appreciate if someone can explain the ${0##*/} line. What does it do? I am aware that $0 is the script name, $# is number of arguments passed in, $* is all the arguments. With the curly brackets {} added in, what's the eventual effect? Does ${0##*/} actually equals $0$#$*? (something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced error handling in shell scripts

Hi all I've got a question regarding error handling in shell scripts. My background is mainly object oriented programming languages, but for a year or so I've been doing more and more (bash) shell scripting (which I quite enjoy by the way). To handle errors in my scripts I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell advanced syntax?

I am not an expert of shell scripting, but I can do some simple things. Now, I read a script written by others and I need some help from the experts of this forum. Please help me to understand what is going on in this cycle: if ; then ] && \ export... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt
25 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Trouble with Advanced Shell Programming

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am working on a hands on project. We are creating a script for a corporate phone list. The project I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahBelle7858
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - take variables out to shell

Hi, How could we take the value of awk variables out to shell? I know the following methods 1. awk '{print $1}' < file | read a echo $a 2. a=`awk '{print $1}' < file` echo $a Please let me know if there are any other methods. Also, how do we take more than 1 variable value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thumban
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)