Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Suggestions on furthering my skills? Post 302340023 by phoxly on Saturday 1st of August 2009 10:30:24 PM
Old 08-01-2009
Yeah I planned on getting a good base knowledge behind me with shell scripting before moving forward with a new programming language.

Also what are some tips to keep motivated toward learning a new language? I don't exactly have daily 'problems' that require I make some cool program to solve them, so do you have any suggestions on practice?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Don't want destroy windows! Ask skills

I am going to install Linux/Debian on my computer. My current OS is windows 98. My question is that if I install Linux, it is required to partition the hard drive. Windows may be destroyed. I still want to keep it. I have no windows installtion CD. I don't want to buy it. Can I avoid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I focus efforts on learning Perl or develop skills in awk, sed, etc

Good afternoon, I am not trying to start a debate. Please don't take it that way. I'm not trying to make this a Perl versus Bash scripts thing. I have been writing shell scripts for several years. I am not 100%, but I seem to get the job done. I would like to start focusing on spending... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I would like to have some exercises to develop my skills

Hi , I would like to do some exercises/scripts in order to develop my skills in shell scripts, can someone pass me some links/suggestions where i can find this? Thanks a lot :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
3 Replies

5. AIX

How do you keep your AIX skills up to date?

I am very curious to find out how AIX admins keep up to date and refreshed with all of the options and features of AIX without having access to a test environment? Usually going on a course requires practice otherwise the knowledge gained can get lost very quickly. How do you practice for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colin_Fearnley
5 Replies
XCALPR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 XCALPR(1)

NAME
xcalpr - print xcal calendar entries SYNTAX
xcalpr [ -c ][ -x ][ -f file ][ -d dir ][ -u user ][ date-spec ] DESCRIPTION
Xcalpr prints the contents of the xcal files. It is intended to be used in situations when you have no access to an X screen. It can also be used to generate entries for the standard UNIX calendar program. With no arguments, it prints any entries that exist for the next seven days. The program also reads the contents of the seven daily files and prints them at the appropriate point in the output stream. Each line in the output is preceded by the day of the week, the day of the month, the month and the year. Xcalpr can be given a date specification to select months and years. If the date spec consists of just a year number, then all the data for that year is printed. For example: xcalpr 1994 will print all the data for 1994. Several years can be specified. If you give the name of a month, then the data for that month in the current year will be printed. If the month is in the past, then the data for that month next year will be printed. For example, if xcalpr oct jan is typed in August, xcalpr will print October in the current year and January next year. You can select a particular year by adding the number after any months that you need printing: xcalpr oct nov 1994 will print October and November in 1994. There are a couple of special `month' names. The name rest will print the data for the rest of the month, starting tomorrow. The rest argument is not recognised if you give a year as a parameter. If tomorrow happens to be the first day of the next month, then all the data for next month will be printed. The name next prints all the data for next month. OPTIONS
The -c option causes xcalpr to output lines suitable for input to the standard UNIX calendar program. The -d switch is followed by a directory name and specifies an alterative location for your Calendar directory. Your home directory is prepended if the name doesn't start with a slash or a dot. The -f option is followed by a file name and xcalpr will write it's output to that file, rather than standard output. The -u option is followed by a user name and dumps their calendar files rather than yours. The -x option makes xcalev operate with Calendar files that are compatible with the xcalendar program. FILES
$HOME/Calendar/* xc<dd><Mon><Year> A data file is day, Month in three letter format and the year. xy<Year> A year directory. xw<Day> A data file for the weekly code, one per day. SEE ALSO
xcal(1), xcalev(1), xcal_cal(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 1993 by Peter Collinson, Hillside Systems All rights reserved. This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors. X Version 11 R5 October 1993 XCALPR(1)