Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Software RAID doubt
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Software RAID doubt Post 302339989 by fpmurphy on Saturday 1st of August 2009 11:42:55 AM
Old 08-01-2009
What is the ouput from mdadm --detail?

You should have an /etc/mdadm.conf configuration file. If you do not have one, you need to create one.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Raid software besides Veritass

Hello Lunix people, I am looking for Raid software or solution besides Veritas. Veritas has some great software but are way too costly. Does anyone know of good raid software that but NOT Veritas. I need the funcations but not the cost. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtmeisel
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Software RAID ...

Hi all, I m just trying using software RAID in RHEL 4, without problem , then i wanna simulate if disk 1 is fail (thereis an bootloader), i plug off my 1st disk. My problems is the second disk cannot boot? just stuck in grub, the computer is hang. Sorry for poor concept in RAID? I use a RAID 1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Software RAID (0+1)

Hi! A couple of months ago a disk failed in our JBOD cabinett and I have finally got a new disk to replace it with. It was a RAID 0 so we have to create and configure the whole thing again. First we thought of RAID 1+0 but it seems you can't do this with LVM. If you read my last thread, you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
0 Replies

4. Linux

Software RAID on Linux

Hey, I have worked with Linux for some time, but have not gotten into the specifics of hard drive tuning or software RAID. This is about to change. I have a Dell PowerEdge T105 at home and I am purchasing the following: 1GBx4 DDR2 ECC PC6400 RAM Rosewill RSV-5 E-Sata 5 bay disk enclosure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark54g
6 Replies

5. Solaris

doubt on RAID

What is the maximum size of RAID-5 volume that can be created using five, 20GB disks. ? explain me in detail. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Software RAID

Hello, My company has inherited a Centos based machine that has 7 hard drives and a software based raid system. Supposedly one of the drives has failed. I need to replace the hardrive. How can I about telling which hard drive needs replacing? I have looked in the logs and there clearly is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Software RAID configuration

We have configured software based RAID5 with LVM on our RHEL5 servers. Please let us know if its good to configure software RAID on live environment servers. What can be the disadvantages of software RAID against hardware RAID (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitchnelson
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies
metareplace(1M)                                           System Administration Commands                                           metareplace(1M)

NAME
metareplace - enable or replace components of submirrors or RAID5 metadevices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metareplace -h /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e mirror component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] mirror component-old component-new /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e RAID component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] [-f] RAID component-old component-new DESCRIPTION
The metareplace command is used to enable or replace components (slices) within a submirror or a RAID5 metadevice. When you replace a component, the metareplace command automatically starts resyncing the new component with the rest of the metadevice. When the resync completes, the replaced component becomes readable and writable. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replacements. Note that the new component must be large enough to replace the old component. A component may be in one of several states. The Last Erred and the Maintenance states require action. Always replace components in the Maintenance state first, followed by a resync and validation of data. After components requiring maintenance are fixed, validated, and resynced, components in the Last Erred state should be replaced. To avoid data loss, it is always best to back up all data before replacing Last Erred devices. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -e Transitions the state of component to the available state and resyncs the failed component. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replace- ments. This command is useful when a component fails due to human error (for example, accidentally turning off a disk), or because the component was physically replaced. In this case, the replacement component must be partitioned to match the disk being replaced before running the metareplace command. -f Forces the replacement of an errored component of a metadevice in which multiple components are in error. The component determined by the metastat display to be in the ``Maintenance'' state must be replaced first. This option may cause data to be fabricated since multiple components are in error. -h Display help message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metareplace will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its function on local metadevices. mirror The metadevice name of the mirror. component The logical name for the physical slice (partition) on a disk drive, such as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2. component-old The physical slice that is being replaced. component-new The physical slice that is replacing component-old. RAID The metadevice name of the RAID5 device. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Recovering from Error Condition in RAID5 Metadevice This example shows how to recover when a single component in a RAID5 metadevice is errored. # metareplace d10 c3t0d0s2 c5t0d0s2 In this example, a RAID5 metadevice d10 has an errored component, c3t0d0s2, replaced by a new component, c5t0d0s2. Example 2: Use of -e After Physical Disk Replacement This example shows the use of the -e option after a physical disk in a submirror (a submirror of mirror d11, in this case) has been replaced. # metareplace -e d11 c1t4d0s2 Note: The replacement disk must be partitioned to match the disk it is replacing before running the metareplace command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 metareplace(1M)