Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33 Post 302339978 by de_la_espada on Saturday 1st of August 2009 10:18:10 AM
Old 08-01-2009
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
If anyone can think of any easy way to do what I want to do then let me know.
Curently traawling through the mountain of find and replace postings on the forum.

Simply open file, find Word in line then replace word1 with word2. Then write change to file.
Word is a unique field in file so will only exist on one line. Word1 will only be present once per line.

cheers

Nick

Code:
 sed -i "/$address/s/$pat1/$pat2/" accounts.txt

Where address finds you the line, then pat1 is replaced by pat2. Only occurs once per line.

Last edited by de_la_espada; 08-01-2009 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Found Solution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expanding dotted paths to absolute ones in bash or sh

I have a little script to help me manage a gallery of image files. It makes symbolic links to every file in and below the current directory, placing them in a target directory which is passed to the script as a parameter. Unfortunately, the script pukes when I pass a parameter that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TanRanger
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expanding Variables in User Input

If have var='$variable' how can I expand $variable. I have tried many thing like duble quotes/braces etc, but nothing worked. I need the solution ASAP. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bsk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variables

Ummm can anybody help me with this one? Its prob quite simple. I bascially have a file name say J1x2x3x7.dat Im using the file name as a variable in a bash script. Want I want to do is extract most of the file name and make it a new variable expect with say one of the number now a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use in bash variables and quotes

I have some troubles with variables and quotes... I want: if $URL is empty (no user input) go to http://www.localhost/index.php/ else add this string (search) "?s=+$URL" EXAMPLE: No user input string= http://www.localhost/index.php/ User input = "unix" string=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue expanding variables in ksh script

Hi Guys, I have an issue with awk and variables. I have trawled the internet and forums but can't seem to get the exactt syntax I need. I have tried using awk -v and all sorts of variations but I have hit a brick wall. I have spent a full day on this and am just going round in circles. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible ksh93 Bug Expanding Variables?

My OS is Linux (kernel 4.08.something) and AIX (7100-04-01-1543), the used ksh versions are: ksh88: Version M-11/16/88f (AIX) ksh93: Version M 93t+ 2009-05-01 (AIX), Version M 93u (Linux) When writing a parser for stanza files in ksh i encountered a rather strange behavior. Here is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash argument not expanding in script

I pass an argument to bash as run. The first command in green executes as expected, however the second in blue fails as the $run does not expand. I tried to escape the variable with \ thinking the quotes were making the literal translation and also "${run}" but both did not work to expand the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
pydhcplib.strlist(3)						     PYDHCPLIB						      pydhcplib.strlist(3)

NAME
pydhcplib.strlist - Internal type of pydhcplib for lists of bytes processing. SYNOPSIS
from pydhcplib.type_hw_addr import hwmac a = strlist() a = strlist([100,100,10,42,44,26]) DESCRIPTION
The class pydhcplib.strlist is an specific type of pydhcplib. It exist in order to simplify processing of raw data from network. When a dhcp packet dhcp is received, it's a succession of approximately 300 bytes. Within pydhcplib these data are transformed in an intermediary form of type "strlist" in order to facilitate their handling. This intermediary form will eventually be suppressed in the stable versions of pydhcplib to speedup the processing time, but backward compatibility will be assured. The pydhcplib.strlist class creation argument can be a list of numbers whose value goes from 0?55. The pydhcplib.strlist class creation argument can be a string of ASCII character. METHODS
The implemented methods in this type are mostly comparison methods (= =, >, etc...) else : str() convert the address into a printable string type. list() convert the address into a list of bytes. EXAMPLES
Example program strlist_example.py : from pydhcplib.type_strlist import strlist word = strlist() word1 = strlist("azerty") word2 = strlist("qwerty") word3 = strlist([97, 122, 101, 114, 116, 121]) print "a0 : ",word print "a1 : ",word1 print "a2 : ",word2 print "a3 : ",word3 if word1 == word2 : print "test 1 : ",word1, "==",word2 else : print "test 1 : " ,word1, "!=",word2 if word1 == word3 : print "test 2 : ", word1, "==",word3 else : print "test 2 : ", word1, "!=",word3 SEE ALSO
pydhcp(8), pydhcplib.hwmac(3), pydhcplib.ipv4(3), pydhcplib.strlist(3), pydhcplib.DhcpPacket(3), pydhcplib.DhcpBasicPacket(3), pydhc- plib.DhcpNetwork(3), pydhcplib.DhcpClient(3), pydhcplib.DhcpRawClient(3), pydhcplib.DhcpDerver(3) BUGS
See http://pydhcplib.tuxfamily.org/ for more information. AUTHOR
Mathieu Ignacio (mignacio[AT]april.org) pydhcplib.strlist(3)