Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell variables advanced
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell variables advanced Post 302339971 by kshji on Saturday 1st of August 2009 08:45:04 AM
Old 08-01-2009
Print all variables - local and global.
Code:
set

Print global(=environment) variables. Child process get copy of global variables, but not locals.
Code:
env

What is locals ? set - env

How to make global variable ? Use export command.
Code:
export variable

How to remove variable ?
Code:
unset variable

How to look ex. IFS value, IFS include some special characters ? Example:
Code:
echo -n "$IFS" | od -c

IFS default value is "white space" = space+tab+newline

Using special characters. Example IFS is TAB+backspace+hex 02+newline
Code:
IFS=$'\t\b\x02\n'

One solution for your needs =remove all chars before ex. track007.mp3
= remove "07 - album - ". Space before string track.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
#!/bin/bash

for f in *.mp3
do
    # remove all chars before last space including last space
    new="${f##* }"
    [ "$new" != "$f" ] && mv "$f" "$new"
done

Last edited by kshji; 08-01-2009 at 10:08 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell variables In awk

Oh its not my day for syntax... cat gzipsize.txt | awk '{print "echo",$1,$2} > master.txt I have read a lot about the awk -v but haven't been able to get it to work. I have a variable in my script and I'm looking just to push it into the awk after the $2 (or anywhere would do)!!! Every... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in shell

hi, i'm new in shell scripting and i'm working on bash on solaris 5.9 after try many stuff with unexpected results, i wonder: it is not posible in bash, to use a variable that was created inside a loop, out of it? i mean, for instance: cat mytext | \ while read text do viko=$text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viko
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video. I don't know in which thread I should post this question.Plz help me out, or just tell me the link in the reply to this post. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 shell variables

Would appreciate if someone can explain the ${0##*/} line. What does it do? I am aware that $0 is the script name, $# is number of arguments passed in, $* is all the arguments. With the curly brackets {} added in, what's the eventual effect? Does ${0##*/} actually equals $0$#$*? (something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced error handling in shell scripts

Hi all I've got a question regarding error handling in shell scripts. My background is mainly object oriented programming languages, but for a year or so I've been doing more and more (bash) shell scripting (which I quite enjoy by the way). To handle errors in my scripts I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell advanced syntax?

I am not an expert of shell scripting, but I can do some simple things. Now, I read a script written by others and I need some help from the experts of this forum. Please help me to understand what is going on in this cycle: if ; then ] && \ export... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt
25 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Trouble with Advanced Shell Programming

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am working on a hands on project. We are creating a script for a corporate phone list. The project I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahBelle7858
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - take variables out to shell

Hi, How could we take the value of awk variables out to shell? I know the following methods 1. awk '{print $1}' < file | read a echo $a 2. a=`awk '{print $1}' < file` echo $a Please let me know if there are any other methods. Also, how do we take more than 1 variable value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thumban
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)