Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting regex to select last part of a path Post 302339858 by pludi on Friday 31st of July 2009 02:05:27 PM
Old 07-31-2009
In Perl it would be
Code:
$string = "/dir1/dir2/dir2";
$string =~ m|(/.+?)$|;
print $1;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the path part of an argument

Seems I'm inundating this forum with questions, but anyway: I am writing a script that should accept one and only one argument when called. That argument should designate a file, either with path/filename or just filename. Now to the difficult bit: I want to figure out a way to store... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

With Regex Spliting the string into Alphanumeric and Numeric part

Hi there With shell script I'm trying to split the string into two parts. One is alphanumeric part, the other one is a numeric part. dummy_postcode_1 = 'SL1' --> res_alpha = 'SL' and res_numeric = '1' dummy_postcode_2 = 'S053' --> res_alpha = 'S' and res_numeric = '053' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ozgurgul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select the path that contains a certain string from a certain file?

Hi, I am new to this world of shell programming. I am facing a problem that is : I have directory which has many sub directories at different depth. say A/B/C/files A/B/files A/B/C/D/files In this directory structure there exists a file called ".project" in some of the sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select or make reference to, part of a field

For a field format such as AAL1001_MD82, how do I select(and use in if statement) only the last four elements( in this case MD82) or the first three elements (in this case AAL)? For instance, how do I do the following - if first three elements of $x == yyy, then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshaykr2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regex to get part of a string ?

Hi there, i wonder, is it possible to use regular expressions to partially select a string? I have a bunch of server names which look like this server1z-test server2z2 server45z-primary server13z3 I want to extract up to and including the 'z' in the server name, so for example ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting a part of the text (regex pattern, awk, sed)

Hello, let's start by giving you guys a few examples of the text: "READ /TEXT123/ABC123" "READ /TEXT123/ABC123/" "READ TEXT123/ABC123" "READ TEXT123/ABC123/" "READ TEXT123/TEXT456/ABC123" "READ /TEXT123/TEXT456/ABC123" "READ /TEXT123/TEXT456/ABC123/" TEXT and ABC can be and I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to remove part of line with regex

Greetings everyone. Right now I am working on a script to be used during automated deployment of servers. What I have to do is remove localhost.localdomain and localhost6.localdomain6 from the /etc/hosts file. Simple, right? Except most of the examples I've found using sed want to delete the entire... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select a specific part of the string and print it

Hi all, I have a string that looks like: #!/bin/sh options="arguments: --user=alpha --group=beta --prefix=/usr/share --proxy-path=/proxy --proxy-tmp=/tmp --conf-path=/etc" My goal is to transform the string into an array, then for each key, if it starts with "--proxy" to print the string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TECK
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select the shortest path in grep search?

Hi, How can I display only one shortest path (A/B/configure)? $ grep configure file.txt A/B/configure A/B/C/configure A/B/C/D/configure Thank you. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select First two directory in from path name?

Can somebody help me on below question I have path and i want to select first two directory name in variable how we can do this. /Myname/xyz/yourname/abc/somebodyname i want to select /Myname/xyz in variable. Quick help will be appriciated. Thanks in advance Regards, Kumar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
10 Replies
opendiff(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       opendiff(1)

NAME
opendiff -- Use FileMerge to graphically compare or merge file or directories SYNOPSIS
opendiff file1 file2 [-ancestor ancestorFile] [-merge mergeFile] opendiff dir1 dir2 [-ancestor ancestorDirectory] [-merge mergeDirectory] DESCRIPTION
opendiff is a command line utility that provides a convenient way to launch the FileMerge application from Terminal to graphically compare files or directories. If FileMerge is already running, opendiff will connect to that running instance for the new comparison. opendiff exits immediately after the comparison request has been sent to FileMerge. opendiff and FileMerge can be used to compare two files file1 and file2 or to compare two directories dir1 and dir2. If the -ancestor flag is given, FileMerge will compare the two files or directories to a common ancestor. This is useful if two people inde- pendently modify copies of a single original file or directory. FileMerge lets you merge two files or directories together to create a third file or directory. To see the contents of a merged file, drag the splitter bar at the bottom of FileMerge's file comparison window. The contents of the merged file can be directly edited within File- Merge. After editing, the merged file can be saved to the file (or into the directory) specified with the Fl merge flag. If a destination is not specified with the -merge flag, FileMerge will ask for a destination file or directory when you try to save a merged file. For further information, please consult the Help information available from the FileMerge application. FILES
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge.app opendiff and FileMerge are installed as part of the Mac OS X Developer Tools. SEE ALSO
diff(1), diff3(1), cmp(1) Mac OS X August 3, 2004 Mac OS X