Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut and paste using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut and paste using awk Post 302339768 by rakeshawasthi on Friday 31st of July 2009 09:49:38 AM
Old 07-31-2009
Code:
while read line
do
done < file

is the fastest way to read a file, i think. But since you are avoiding 'while', your options are limited to awk, cut, sed etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Cut, Copy and Paste with X

One of the things that I have learned to take for granted in the Win32 world is the cut, copy and paste hotkeys of ^X, ^C and ^V. I use these keys all the time under Win32 to copy and paste information from one GUI into another GUI. My question is, does X have a similiar standard? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auswipe
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Paste and Insert Help

Hello I have a very large file where say each line is made up of 80 characters. I want to cut the characters from 20-30 and 50-60 from each line and then insert a delimiter between them (# or | etc). eg input file 000000000131.12.20990000590425246363375670011200140406... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut and paste columns using awk

Hi, Let's say that I have a file called table, I know that if I need to see a the second column for exampls I use: awk ' {print $2}' table.txt Is there anyway to use awk to actually cut a column and put it somewhere else in the table?:confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut and paste from two tables

Hello, I want to be able to cut and paste columns from two tables in one command. Presently I do the following: cut -f 1,3-6,9 table1.in > table1.out cut -f 7,6,1-3 table2.in > table2.out paste table1.out -d '\t' table2.out > MergedTable.out Is there a better way to do this? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste?

hi, I have a file with content like this for an employee: EmployeeID 101 Day_type, day vacation,1/2/2009 sick day, 3/2/2009 personal day, 4/5/2009 jury duty day, 5/5/2009 how do I make the result to show: EmployeeID,Day_type,day 101,vacation,1/2/2009 101,sick day,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbchen
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste

Hi, Need a help with shell script. I have to search for a string in one of the file, if match found, copy the line to a new file and delete the line from the exisiting file. eg: 83510000000000063800000.1800000.1600000.1600000.2400000.1800000.2000000.21... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with using cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Cut and paste

Hi, I have a file like this --> Consider z as space #cat filename ABC <!--Nzzzzz--> <!--RESUMO--> EFG XYZ <!--Nzzzzz--> <!--RESUMO--> I need to cut the <!--RESUMO--> part and paste it to the previous line so that the file will look like this--> ABC <!--Nzzzzz--><!--RESUMO-->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsonata
4 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)