Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to run a killed process
Operating Systems Solaris how to run a killed process Post 302339553 by a2156z on Thursday 30th of July 2009 09:21:27 PM
Old 07-30-2009
But once the daemon killed more than 5 times, it won't start again by inittab.
Solaris will write "off" into this entry under /etc/inittab.
a2156z

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process not getting killed

I have a process that is in the sleeping state "S" and I have tried to stop it with a run control script that I use to stop/start it - but it does not stop. I have tried kill -9 <PID of process> with no change. I imagine that this process is sleeping with the kernel. It does not respond to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who is the parent of a killed process ?

Suppose we have the following process tree: init-> ProcessA->processB->processC then I kill processB Who is the parent of the processC? init or the processA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
6 Replies

3. Programming

how to delay a process from getting killed

We are forking a process B from process A and the process B should display the details it reads from process C(daemon process) continuously. Let us say that the process C sents 100 packets.The process B receives all the 100 packets from the process C before it prints all details of 31... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cijkmysj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sybase Process Killed - How to identify

I have this shell script and in case the sybase process is been killed how can identify whether the process was killed or not, as the error code always returns 0. #!/bin/sh isql -S SERVER -U user -P pass<<TOP select * from tableName go TOP echo $? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

5. Solaris

LDAP process getting killed

Hi all, Currently I am using LDAP to store some network related data, When I run following script ./ns-slapd ldif2db Execution of above script terminates displaying "Killed" on the console. As far as I know, a process can be killed by two ways- 1. manually running " kill -9 <PID of LDAP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SAS Process Getting Killed

HI all, I am very new to AIX (matter of fact Unix). We are currently automating out manual process using Unix Shell Scripting. My wrote a shell script which will accept the name of the sas job as parameter, checks the existense of the sas file in the specified folder. If it is not present,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anubhav2020
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protect a Process from Being Killed

Hi, I have a process which takes 13-15 mins for execution and its getting killed in the meantime.So can you please helpme out how to protect the process from getting killed. Thanks in advance. Regards, Harika (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: harikagrp
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Killed : Need to find why ?

Hi reader, I'm making a tool out of korn shell script that is running on a HP-UX server. But everytime i invoke the tool, it gets killed after a while (mid-process). I have tried re-running it a couple of times but each invocation ending up the same way .. following is a snippet of the o/p... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: clakkad
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prevent process from being killed

Hi,all.Well,I know someone has already asked this question before,however,It's too long before.So i post a new thread here. Here is the issue.I have a shell script that use awk to calculate something and the script takes about 15 mins,it will use 100% CPU,and the system automatically killed the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the killed process logs

I have two set of questions. 1) To skip killing some process automatically. 2) To kill other process and capture their log. I have set of process, some needs to be killed gracefully and others should be skipped. Listed are the process. adm 1522... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murali1687
1 Replies
esmd(1M)																  esmd(1M)

NAME
esmd - Essential Services Monitor (ESM) Daemon SYNOPSIS
retry_seconds] DESCRIPTION
The Essential Services Monitor (ESM) daemon, maintains the availability of essential system daemons by automatically restarting them if they terminate. The ESM daemon monitors the Event Manager daemon, The ESM daemon is started by the init process when the system is ini- tialized to run level 2 and continues to run until the system is shut down or returned to single user mode. Only one instance of can run at a time. Configuration information is sent to the ESM daemon by a control program, which is run at key points in the startup and shutdown proce- dures. As startup or shutdown progresses, the control program updates the ESM state file, The control program then signals the daemon to reconfigure itself. On startup, state transitions occur after has started. On shutdown, transitions occur after each of these monitored daemons has termi- nated. After each transition, the ESM daemon determines which of the monitored daemons should be running and adjusts its monitoring activ- ities accordingly. The ESM daemon reports all state change information, including notice of failures and restarts, through the system logging daemon, syslogd. Messages are displayed on the system console during periods when syslogd is not running. See syslogd(1M) for more information. If the ESM daemon fails to restart a monitored daemon, it reports the error by posting a high priority message through syslogd, and makes no further restart attempts. The system administrator should investigate the problem and restart the failed daemon. The ESM daemon peri- odically attempts to resume monitoring of the daemon, and posts an informational message when it succeeds. If the monitored daemon fails again once monitoring has resumed, the ESM daemon again attempts to restart it. The ESM daemon can be forced to restart a failed daemon by sending a SIGHUP signal to the process. If there is a need to temporarily disable the ESM daemon for test purposes, in order to prevent the monitored daemons from being restarted automatically, send a SIGSTOP signal to the process. To reactivate the ESM daemon, send a SIGCONT signal to the process. The ESM daemon should never be disabled on a production system. If the ESM daemon is terminated unexpectedly, it is restarted automatically by init. Options The command recognizes the following options: Limit the priority of any syslog messages posted by the ESM daemon to "alert." If this option is not specified, posts an "emergency" message if it cannot restart a failed daemon. A message may be sent to all users currently logged in to the system. The option should only be used if the system administrator is actively monitoring syslogd messages. Specify the interval between attempts to begin monitoring a daemon that has failed, and which has been unable to restart automatically. The default period is 30 seconds. Specifying a period of zero disables retrying. Notes To use the start options, you must add them to the startup command in the file. The daemon reports any invalid start options with a single generic message through syslogd. Restrictions The daemon terminates with an error message if it is started by any process other than init. The /sbin/init.d/esm program is intended to be run by the system startup and shutdown process and should not be run from the command line. Only one instance of can run at a time. RETURN VALUE
The following exit values are returned: 0 (Zero) Successful completion. not 0 An error occurred. FILES
Executable file Configuration control script Initialization process control file dispatched by boot init Monitoring state file Receives esmd status messages AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett Packard Company. SEE ALSO
Commands kill(1), evmd(1M), init(1M), syslogd(1M). Files inittab(4). esmd(1M)