Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users setting ulimit -n with a value more than 1024000 Post 302339524 by Corona688 on Thursday 30th of July 2009 05:39:50 PM
Old 07-30-2009
Could you explain the problem a little more? Maybe some sort of client/server system work better than a cluster. More and smaller file tables instead of one gigantic global file table. Or a method in which fewer files containing more data could be used, are they of fixed size? What kind of data? Altering the kernel may have unexpected consequences, the limit might be that "low" for a reason.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ulimit setting problem on Solaris

How do you make the ulimit values permanent for a user? by default, the root login has the following ulimits: # ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) 8192 coredump(blocks) unlimited nofiles(descriptors) 1024 memory(kbytes)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiem
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Ulimit

How do i set ulimit for user (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting Ulimit problem

I changed the standard Ulimit sometime back. But when I change it back, the setting does not get updated. How do I make the change permanent Waitstejo (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Waitstejo
7 Replies

4. Solaris

ulimit

how do i check the ulimit set on my server.. ca i know whats the command ?? thanks in advance .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Ulimit Setting

All, Our SA is considering setting the max open files from 2048 to 30K. This sounds like a drastic change. Does anybody have an idea of the negative impacts of increasing the open files too high? Would like to know if this change could negatively impact our system. What test should we run to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcrober
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ulimit

Hello, could you help me please? I write in command line: "ulimit 500" -> i've set the max size of 512-bytes blocks that i can write in one file. But when after it i use ulimit.3c in my program: "ulimit(UL_GETFSIZE);" the result turns out 1000. Why is it so? They always differ so that one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zhenya_
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

9. AIX

Ulimit setting

Hi, Our application team is asking me to set ulimit parameter in my AIX 6.1 TL8 box. Some of them i set already. address space limit (kbytes) (-M) unlimited locks (-L) unlimited locked address space (kbytes) (-l) 64 nice (-e) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Help with setting coredumpsize using ulimit

A coredump is being created by one of our applications on Solaris server and occupying entire space on the mount, thereby bringing down the application. While we try to identify the root cause, i tried to limit to limit the size of the core dump. Executed below command in shell and also updated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kesani
2 Replies
TCP_TABLE(5)							File Formats Manual						      TCP_TABLE(5)

NAME
tcp_table - Postfix client/server table lookup protocol SYNOPSIS
postmap -q "string" tcp:host:port postmap -q - tcp:host:port <inputfile DESCRIPTION
The Postfix mail system uses optional tables for address rewriting or mail routing. These tables are usually in dbm or db format. Alterna- tively, table lookups can be directed to a TCP server. To find out what types of lookup tables your Postfix system supports use the "postconf -m" command. To test lookup tables, use the "postmap -q" command as described in the SYNOPSIS above. PROTOCOL DESCRIPTION
The TCP map class implements a very simple protocol: the client sends a request, and the server sends one reply. Requests and replies are sent as one line of ASCII text, terminated by the ASCII newline character. Request and reply parameters (see below) are separated by white- space. Send and receive operations must complete in 100 seconds. REQUEST FORMAT
Each request specifies a command, a lookup key, and possibly a lookup result. get SPACE key NEWLINE Look up data under the specified key. put SPACE key SPACE value NEWLINE This request is currently not implemented. REPLY FORMAT
Each reply specifies a status code and text. Replies must be no longer than 4096 characters including the newline terminator. 500 SPACE text NEWLINE In case of a lookup request, the requested data does not exist. In case of an update request, the request was rejected. The text describes the nature of the problem. 400 SPACE text NEWLINE This indicates an error condition. The text describes the nature of the problem. The client should retry the request later. 200 SPACE text NEWLINE The request was successful. In the case of a lookup request, the text contains an encoded version of the requested data. ENCODING
In request and reply parameters, the character %, each non-printing character, and each whitespace character must be replaced by %XX, where XX is the corresponding ASCII hexadecimal character value. The hexadecimal codes can be specified in any case (upper, lower, mixed). The Postfix client always encodes a request. The server may omit the encoding as long as the reply is guaranteed to not contain the % or NEWLINE character. SECURITY
Do not use TCP lookup tables for security critical purposes. The client-server connection is not protected and the server is not authenti- cated. BUGS
Only the lookup method is currently implemented. The client does not hang up when the connection is idle for a long time. SEE ALSO
postmap(1), Postfix lookup table manager regexp_table(5), format of regular expression tables pcre_table(5), format of PCRE tables cidr_table(5), format of CIDR tables README FILES
Use "postconf readme_directory" or "postconf html_directory" to locate this information. DATABASE_README, Postfix lookup table overview LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA TCP_TABLE(5)