Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backing Up and Emailing Home Directory and SQL Databases Post 302339469 by millipedeman on Thursday 30th of July 2009 03:19:49 PM
Old 07-30-2009
I am a hosting reseller account, so it was automatically installed for me.

I did some Linux research online, and I found out how to compress the contents of my public_html directory. Now I just need to figure out how to send that file to my email and then delete the file off of the server.

Here's the command I used for compressing my public_html directory

Code:
date=`date -I` ; tar -zcf backup_$date.tgz ./public_html

Also, how does that SQL thing work, and how do I change the script to fit my needs?

Last edited by millipedeman; 07-30-2009 at 04:37 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Accessing databases using sql*plus on HP box

When I try to connect to databse from HP box using the following command sqlplus <username>@<databasename> I get this error message: ksh: <database name> : not found I can connect to the database outside the UNIX box using sqlplus though. Looks like the problem is the way HP Unix is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtonse
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Can usfdump be used for backing up 1 directory?

I know I can use ufsdump to backup a full device, but can I use it to just backup specified directories within the device? If so , how? (The man pages do not mention how to do that). If ufsdump can not do it, what are my choices? Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory

Hi what is the difference between the directory named /home and the user's home directory? can anyone plz reply? really confuse about it!!!!!!!! thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia3100
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export SQL results to .TXT file for emailing

Hi everyone, I am new to unix and bash and in need of some help. I am writing a script that will execute a SQL query. The script runs and the SQl query runs, but I cannot figure out how to save the results as a file that can be emailed to a user. Here is my scripts thus far: #!/bin/sh SID=$1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpinescott
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in backing up of databases.

Hi Everyone, I am new to DBA stuff. I wonder if anyone can help me. Task is that, I have 10 databases and need to take backups of all the databases using data pump in Unix/Linux, compress them using gzip and use cron to schedule the job twice a day. Appreciate if anyone can help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreepriya0987
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Backing up all the files in the subdirectories under a parent directory

Hi, I am not too familiar with Unix scripting but I have to write code to find all the files under all the sub directories under a parent directory of unix location and move them to the corresponding Windows location. For eg: I have \home\sreenu\Files\ Under neath this I have multiple sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj.sreenu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emailing results of a pl sql procedure from UNIX shell script

Hello All, I am writing the below unix script to email the result of a small pl sql procedure: #!/bin/bash ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/orcts/product/9.2.0; export ORACLE_HOME SQLPLUS=$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus sqlplus -s user/pass@Db_instance<<EOF set echo off set feedback off set pages 0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bunty bedi
9 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
NWFSTIME(1)							     nwfstime							       NWFSTIME(1)

NAME
nwfstime - Display / Set a NetWare server's date and time SYNOPSIS
nwfstime [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -s ] DESCRIPTION
nwfstime displays a NetWare server's date and time. You can also set a NetWare server's date and time from the local time. OPTIONS
-h With -h nwfstime prints a little help text. -S server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. To set the server's time, you need supervisor privileges. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwfstime prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. As you need supervisor privileges for setting the date and time, this option is probably not used very often. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -s With -s, nwfstime sets the file server's date and time according to the local date and time. nwfstime 12/10/1996 NWFSTIME(1)