Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backing Up and Emailing Home Directory and SQL Databases Post 302339442 by millipedeman on Thursday 30th of July 2009 01:43:54 PM
Old 07-30-2009
Backing Up and Emailing Home Directory and SQL Databases

Hello,

I run a web hosting company, and I'm wondering how I can use cPanel's Cron Jobs so that a copy of my entire home directory and a copy all of my MySQL databases can be compressed and emailed to me. I know nothing about Linux, Unix, or whatever that thing with the penguin is called. Smilie

Anthony

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Accessing databases using sql*plus on HP box

When I try to connect to databse from HP box using the following command sqlplus <username>@<databasename> I get this error message: ksh: <database name> : not found I can connect to the database outside the UNIX box using sqlplus though. Looks like the problem is the way HP Unix is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtonse
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Can usfdump be used for backing up 1 directory?

I know I can use ufsdump to backup a full device, but can I use it to just backup specified directories within the device? If so , how? (The man pages do not mention how to do that). If ufsdump can not do it, what are my choices? Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory

Hi what is the difference between the directory named /home and the user's home directory? can anyone plz reply? really confuse about it!!!!!!!! thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia3100
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export SQL results to .TXT file for emailing

Hi everyone, I am new to unix and bash and in need of some help. I am writing a script that will execute a SQL query. The script runs and the SQl query runs, but I cannot figure out how to save the results as a file that can be emailed to a user. Here is my scripts thus far: #!/bin/sh SID=$1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpinescott
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in backing up of databases.

Hi Everyone, I am new to DBA stuff. I wonder if anyone can help me. Task is that, I have 10 databases and need to take backups of all the databases using data pump in Unix/Linux, compress them using gzip and use cron to schedule the job twice a day. Appreciate if anyone can help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreepriya0987
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Backing up all the files in the subdirectories under a parent directory

Hi, I am not too familiar with Unix scripting but I have to write code to find all the files under all the sub directories under a parent directory of unix location and move them to the corresponding Windows location. For eg: I have \home\sreenu\Files\ Under neath this I have multiple sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj.sreenu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emailing results of a pl sql procedure from UNIX shell script

Hello All, I am writing the below unix script to email the result of a small pl sql procedure: #!/bin/bash ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/orcts/product/9.2.0; export ORACLE_HOME SQLPLUS=$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus sqlplus -s user/pass@Db_instance<<EOF set echo off set feedback off set pages 0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bunty bedi
9 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)