Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable assignment using awk Post 302339031 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 29th of July 2009 02:12:35 PM
Old 07-29-2009
if you wanna go that way no need of while loop..
Code:
grep sdosanjh filename |read var1 var2 var3
echo $var1 $var2 $var3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

@ in a variable assignment

Hello Everybody, Does anyone know what the @ symbol means in a csh script, if used with a variable assignment as below @ line = 1 why not just use.... set line=1 Many thanks rkap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable assignment in a file

Hi All, I have a little awk script which uses a variable (x): awk -v x=0 'NF != 6 { ++x } END { print "This batch had " x " errors out of ", NR" records"}' But when I've tried to put the command in a file I can't seem to declare the variable. I've managed to simplify the code so that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable assignment

Hi, In AIX I have a variable with , (coma) separated values assigned to it like shown below var1=apple,boy,chris i want to convert this to var1='apple','boy','chris' the number of values assigned to var1 might change and it could be from 1 to n any suggestions please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul9909
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script

Hi There, I am writing a ksh script which assigns variable values from file "A" and passes that variables to file "B". While passing the parameters an additional "$" sign is being assigned to awk -v option. Could any one help me with this please. #!/bin/ksh head -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable assignment-- inside braces or not?

So, in awk, I've always put my variable assignments inside of the curly braces, just like dad, and grandpa, and the 26 generations before them. But today I came upon an awk statement that had them outside the braces-- blasphemy! Seriously, though, is there any practical difference? I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable assignment inside awk

Hi, Was hoping someone could help with the following: while read line; do pntadm -P $line | awk '{if (( $2 == 00 && $1 != 00 ) || ( $2 == 04 )) print $3,$5}'; done < /tmp/subnet_list Anyone know if it is possible to assign $3 and $5 to separate variables within the {} brackets? Thanks... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] printing value of a variable assignment from a file

Heyas Me try to print only the value of a (specific) variable assignment from a file. What i get (1): :) tui $ bin/tui-conf-get ~/.tui_rc TUI_THEME dot-blue "" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/usr" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/etc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/doc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/tui"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Same Variable Assignment

Hi I have a strange problem: In my shell script I am performing a copy task: . prop.txt cp -r $dir/ $dir/archive $dir is fetched from a property file (prop.txt) which stores its value dir=/opt/data Now the problem is another dir1 comes into picture. I only want to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Assignment

Hi I am facing a problem. export local_folder=/opt/app/ cd /opt/app/abc/ abcversion="abc*" (abcga5 is inside /opt/app/abc/) echo $abcversion (it echoes the correct version as abcga5 ) Now when I reuse the value of abcversion for a below path: export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize multiple awk variable assignment

how can i optimize the following: TOTALRESULT="total1=4 total2=9 total3=89 TMEMORY=1999" TOTAL1=$(echo "${TOTALRESULT}" | egrep "total1=" | awk -F"=" '{print $NF}') TOTAL2=$(echo "${TOTALRESULT}" | egrep "total2=" | awk -F"=" '{print $NF}') TOTAL3=$(echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)