Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell variables advanced
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell variables advanced Post 302339026 by edidataguy on Wednesday 29th of July 2009 02:03:29 PM
Old 07-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edidataguy
1. "set" lists all variables. Double check, your variable must be there.
Try this:
Code:

aassdd="blabla" (or set aassdd="blabla")
echo $aassdd
set | grep aassdd

2. "env" list all environment variables.

3. For variable with space use quotes.
Code:

qq="aaa                  vvv"
    echo $qq       # output will be ==> aaa vvv
    echo "$qq"     # output will be ==> aaa                  vvv

4. For $IFS do the same as before:
Code:

set | grep "$IFS"

Sorry an error. It should read as:
Code:
set | grep "^IFS"

Last edited by edidataguy; 07-29-2009 at 03:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell variables In awk

Oh its not my day for syntax... cat gzipsize.txt | awk '{print "echo",$1,$2} > master.txt I have read a lot about the awk -v but haven't been able to get it to work. I have a variable in my script and I'm looking just to push it into the awk after the $2 (or anywhere would do)!!! Every... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in shell

hi, i'm new in shell scripting and i'm working on bash on solaris 5.9 after try many stuff with unexpected results, i wonder: it is not posible in bash, to use a variable that was created inside a loop, out of it? i mean, for instance: cat mytext | \ while read text do viko=$text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viko
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video. I don't know in which thread I should post this question.Plz help me out, or just tell me the link in the reply to this post. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 shell variables

Would appreciate if someone can explain the ${0##*/} line. What does it do? I am aware that $0 is the script name, $# is number of arguments passed in, $* is all the arguments. With the curly brackets {} added in, what's the eventual effect? Does ${0##*/} actually equals $0$#$*? (something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced error handling in shell scripts

Hi all I've got a question regarding error handling in shell scripts. My background is mainly object oriented programming languages, but for a year or so I've been doing more and more (bash) shell scripting (which I quite enjoy by the way). To handle errors in my scripts I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell advanced syntax?

I am not an expert of shell scripting, but I can do some simple things. Now, I read a script written by others and I need some help from the experts of this forum. Please help me to understand what is going on in this cycle: if ; then ] && \ export... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt
25 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Trouble with Advanced Shell Programming

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am working on a hands on project. We are creating a script for a corporate phone list. The project I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahBelle7858
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - take variables out to shell

Hi, How could we take the value of awk variables out to shell? I know the following methods 1. awk '{print $1}' < file | read a echo $a 2. a=`awk '{print $1}' < file` echo $a Please let me know if there are any other methods. Also, how do we take more than 1 variable value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thumban
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)