Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi editor garbled file
Operating Systems Solaris vi editor garbled file Post 302339007 by jlliagre on Wednesday 29th of July 2009 12:59:00 PM
Old 07-29-2009
TERM being "sun" is certainly wrong as you are remotely connected.

Try using "export TERM; TERM=vt100" or "TERM=xterm" which more likely match your terminal emulator.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Garbled Sed w/variables

I'm trying to get a partial file path by passing the part I want removed to sed. Sed gets garbled when I try multiple directories (i.e. because of the extra slash). For example: FULLFILEPATH="usr/local/bin" STRIPDIR="usr" PARTFILEPATH=`echo $FULLFILEPATH | sed s/\${STRIPDIR}//` Gives me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bergerj3
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled

Im getting this error message when trying to substitute filepaths in a sed search and replace string #!/usr/bin/ksh ORACLE_SID=PH3 ORACLE_ADMIN=/data01/app/oracle/admin/$ORACLE_SID DATAFILE_DIR=/asterisk/oradata/$ORACLE_SID sed -e s/DBNAME/$ORACLE_SID/g < initPH2.ora | sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blakmk
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

XTerm has garbled font

On my Yellow Dog Linux/PPC system, any XTerm, regardless of whether it be local or remote, displays a garbled font. When I change the font using the -fn option, XTerm displays a different garbled font. I have had no trouble running any other applications on this computer's X server, nor have I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: awenocur
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'less' command response is garbled

Helo , I m using RHEL 4. If I run 'ls -laF | more', response is properly display. but when I run If I run 'ls -laF | less', the response is garbled what to do to remove this? Regards, Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: command garbled :s/

Hi, I really need some help, I am using a very basic script to proess a text file. This script has been used many times but all of a sudden all on it's own it's stopped working. The line in the script is: sed 's/ //g' $ORGFILE > $NEWFILE and the error is Sed: command garbled :s/ All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heidi.lightfoot
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled

Hi, I have a file1 as : A=/home/user B=/home/user1 C=/home/user2 D=/home/aacsms E=/home/user1/temp F=/home/user1/area1 and my script as: a=`cat /home/aacsms7/file1 | grep -i e` b=`user2` sed 's/'$a'/"E=/home/'$b'/temp"/g' < file1 > file2 sed: command garbled:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled error

Hi all, Suppose that I want to update the db.password entry in the below properties file, db.username=admin db.password=qhKkBno2U5GEq5k/dnmGPA== //I want this line to be replaced by: "db.password=abc/123/" db.host=server db.port=22 db.sid=database However when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - Command garbled

Hi, First post for a noob so please go easy with me :) I have a XML block that is originally like this: <SETNAME>somecrap/THIS</SETNAME> and I would like it be replaced with, in the original file: <SETNAME>THIS</SETNAME> I tried to use: sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhuanyi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command garbled when using sed

Hi everyone, Can anyone help me in question below? I want to cron a job to add partition every month but get the error sed: command garbled: s/YYYYMM/ . > echo $YYYYMON_NEW 201304 > echo $YYYYMON_OLD 201208 > echo $YYYY_MM_NEW 2013-05 This is my base script: ALTER TABLE STS.ADMIN ADD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fenocean
1 Replies
UL(1)								   User Commands							     UL(1)

NAME
ul - do underlining SYNOPSIS
ul [options] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
ul reads the named files (or standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM. The terminfo database is read to determine the appro- priate sequences for underlining. If the terminal is incapable of underlining but is capable of a standout mode, then that is used instead. If the terminal can overstrike, or handles underlining automatically, ul degenerates to cat(1). If the terminal cannot under- line, underlining is ignored. OPTIONS
-i, --indicated Underlining is indicated by a separate line containing appropriate dashes `-'; this is useful when you want to look at the underlin- ing which is present in an nroff output stream on a crt-terminal. -t, -T, --terminal terminal Overrides the terminal type specified in the environment with TERM. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display a help text and exit. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used: TERM The TERM variable is used to relate a tty device with its device capability description (see terminfo(5)). TERM is set at login time, either by the default terminal type specified in /etc/ttys or as set during the login process by the user in their login file (see setenv(1)). SEE ALSO
colcrt(1), login(1), man(1), nroff(1), setenv(1), terminfo(5) BUGS
Nroff usually outputs a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining. No attempt is made to opti- mize the backward motion. HISTORY
The ul command appeared in 3.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The ul command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 UL(1)