Visit Our UNIX and Linux User Community

Operating Systems Solaris HP Printer without SMC, Admintool, or Jetadmin Post 302338770 by TT Fan on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 10:05:45 PM
Old 07-28-2009
HP Printer without SMC, Admintool, or Jetadmin

Jetadmin fails saying that it is not a network printer despite the fact that it is and can be pinged from UNIX.

I am administering this remotely (long remote, I can't go there soon) and can't run smc or admintool.

Any help configuring this spooler would be appreciated.

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #920
Difficulty: Medium
The Unix time number is zero at the Unix epoch, and increases by exactly 86400 per day since the epoch.
True or False?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Admintool

Hi, Does anyone here know where I can find out what commands admintool runs while adding a new user and setting up the account? Reason being is the script I am writting, I can add the user create the path. But it wont set the path for the user. The password well it wont add without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sun solstice, admintool, smc

hi, i tried these sun command on a sun0s 5.7 but get the "cant open display" message. please advise. i am using netterm to telnet. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with admintool

hi, after i execute admintool, i got the below "Error, cant open display" what is wrong? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Admintool

I am new to unix....How do I enable XWindows... Or for that matter, use Admintool. .....Pls. help. Thanks. PS. I am running Solaris 8. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d4jtwvb
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printer Error with Admintool

Hi I have a unix box [ Solaris 2.5.1 , sparc staion 5_10 ) I could successfully configure a LOCAL printer using lpadmin -p XX -v /dev/term/a But when I tried to do local printer configuration with admintool, ( as root user ) it throws up error. " add printer failed ". Also when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Jetadmin

Hello, Has anyone ever moved a print server using jetadmin to another box? If so, how? There is a script that is installed with the software that is supposed to do the migration but it just moves the files in /etc/lp/interfaces but does not set up the printers. Any suggestions and/or advice? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlalonde1
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Any sub for Jetadmin?

Is there any other software that can sub our lame Jetadmin any for free? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with JetAdmin

I'm trying to add a receipt printer to our server using JetAdmin. I've assigned an IP address to the printer and can ping it from the Unix level, however, when I go into JetAdmin to configure it, I get a message that says it can't communicate with the device. Why would it ping from the Unix level... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedwards
0 Replies

9. Solaris

what happened to admintool?

what happened to admintool in Solaris10? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mndavies
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Admintool

How can I solve this admintool Error: Can't open display: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
4 Replies
rlprrc(5)						       UNIX Reference Manual							 rlprrc(5)

NAME
rlprrc - remote printing resource file DESCRIPTION
The rlprrc configuration file is consulted by the remote printing commands (rlpr(1), rlpq(1), and rlprm(1)) to resolve a printqueue or a hostname. It can be used to either lookup a printqueue (printer) for a given host, or a host for a given printqueue. If both the printer and the printhost are known, this file is never consulted. Initially, the remote printing commands look for the file .rlprrc in the user's home directory. If that file cannot be found or does not provide the information necessary to resolve the query, then the system-wide /etc/rlprrc is consulted (if present). If resolution is still unsuccessful, the command fails. There is one entry per line - each line has the format: hostname: printer1 printer2 ... printerN Which indicates that host hostname has printers printer1 printer2 ... printerN available. In the case where the remote printing command knows the host to print to but does not know which printer to use on that host, the first one (printer1 here) will be used. In the case where the remote printing command knows the printqueue (printer) to print to but does not know what host has that queue, the last host which has the specified printqueue is used. If this behavior is not acceptable, you can force a certain host to always be used for a certain printqueue by putting a ! after the printqueue name. For example, an .rlprrc file containing: foo.baz.org: litho laserjet4! foo.bar.org: laserjet4 lineprinter will always resolve the printqueue laserjet4 to foo.baz.org no matter what other hosts have a printqueue named laserjet4. The rlprrc file is only consulted in situations where a printqueue or hostname needs to be resolved. It is provided only for convenience and is not required. SEE ALSO
rlpr(1), rlpq(1), rlprm(1), rlprd(8) AUTHOR
meem <meem@gnu.org> rlpr 2.04 1999/10/28 rlprrc(5)

Featured Tech Videos