Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to remove first 100 line in a file? Post 302338762 by glen.barber on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 09:38:14 PM
Old 07-28-2009
Let's not forget about:
Code:
d100d

in Vi. Smilie

Note: Yes, I do know the OP did not want to actually open the file. Just putting it out there for the archives.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove header(first line) and trailer(last line) in ANY given file

Hi, I need some help in removing the header (first line) and the trailer (last line) in a give file... The data file actually comes in EBCDIC format and I converted it into ASCII.. Now I need to strip off the first line and the last line.. I think we can use sed to do something like this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

hi sir, i need help..how to remove last line of the each file for example i have files a.txt ,b.txt and so on..i wanted to delete last list of each file..the patten not same for each file..any help? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove a line within a file

Hi all, i have a text file similar to belowA1 A2 A3 B1 ... .... *** # first occurance B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance My desired output is B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance I want to remove the first line that is after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a line from a file

Hi ,guys. I have one question: I want to write a script which removes a line with certain string from a file, for example The name of the file is: "passwd", the contents of it is below: ************************* ... brownj2:x:5000: hynesp:x:5001: leeb:x:5002 dioxna:x:5003 ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a line from a file

./xxibe ./xxibe/11.5.0 ./xxibe/11.5.0/admin ./xxcyb/11.5.0/reports/US ./xxkintana ./xxkintana/1016454 ./xxkintana/1016454/backup ./xxkintana/1016454/updates ./xxcpf/11.5.0/xml_gw ./xxcse ./xxcse/11.5.0 ./xxcse/11.5.0/admin I have a file (sample.txt) this file contains above text. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first line of file

Is there an easy way to remove the first line of a file so that the file: aaron benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando would become benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

Hi, unix gurus, I need to remove last line of the file. anybody can help me thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file and read file line by line

I have a file output.txt. File looks like this name1 10 name2 2 name3 5 I get a number n and I need to remove all lines which has number (after name) smaller or equal to n number. After that I need to write lines from file and my output must be like this: Output: 'name1 10' Output: 'name2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kubo12312
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove first line of file

How can I use bash to remove the first line of a file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies
GATHER(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GATHER(1)

NAME
gather - gather up the files in a directory for transmission SYNOPSIS
gather [-s] source_dir [-d] dest_dir [-b] bytes [-f] file OPTIONS
-b Desired number of bytes per output file -d Destination directory -f Base name of output files -s Source directory EXAMPLES
gather # Collect files in current dir into 60K archives gather -d dir # Put the archives in dir gather -b 90000 # Try to produce 90K archives gather -s .. -d targ -b 5000 # Try to produce 5K archives DESCRIPTION
It is often useful to collect all the files in a directory into one or more archives for transmission by mail. This program collects all the files in the source directory (default: current directory) and puts them into a shar archive. The shar archive is then compressed and uuencoded. An attempt is made to have the final .uue file be about the given size (default: 60K), but since gather cannot really predict how much shar will add to the file, how much compress will reduce the file, and how much uue will add again, the sizes can fluctuate. If the -f file flag is given, the archives will be given the names file_00.uue, file_01.uue etc. If -f is not given, the name of the source directory is used as the base name. Since 7 characters of suffix are appended, the base name should not exceed 7 characters. GATHER(1)