Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: regular expressions memory
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users regular expressions memory Post 302338755 by Gunther on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 09:08:40 PM
Old 07-28-2009
You say you want the uid and home directory of all users?
Try awk:
awk 'BEGIN { FS=":"; OFS="\ "; } { print $1, $6; }' /etc/passwd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hi, can anyone advise me how to shorten this: if || ; then I tried but it dosent seem to work, whats the correct way. Cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

how to find for a file whose name has all characters in uppercase after 'project'? I tried this: find . -name 'project**.pdf' ./projectABC.pdf ./projectABC123.pdf I want only ./projectABC.pdf What is the regular expression that correponds to "all characters are capital"? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expressions

I have a flat file with the following drug names Nutropin AQ 20mg PEN Cart 2ml Norditropin Cart 15mg/1.5ml I have to extract digits that are before mg i.e 20 and 15 ; how to do this using regular expressions Thanks ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

#!/usr/bin/perl $word = "one last challenge"; if ( $word =~ /^(\w+).*\s(\w+)$/ ) { print "$1"; print "\n"; print "$2"; } The output shows that "$1" is with result one and "$2" is with result challenge. I am confused about how this pattern match expression works step by step. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
textutil::split(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 				textutil::split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::split - Procedures to split texts SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::split ?0.7? ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::split provides commands that split strings by size and arbitrary regular expressions. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? This command splits the given string into chunks of len characters and returns a list containing these chunks. The argument len defaults to 1 if none is specified. A negative length is not allowed and will cause the command to throw an error. Providing an empty string as input is allowed, the command will then return an empty list. If the length of the string is not an entire multiple of the chunk length, then the last chunk in the generated list will be shorter than len. ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? This command splits the string and return a list. The string is split according to the regular expression regexp instead of a simple list of chars. Note that if you parentheses are added into the regexp, the parentheses part of separator will be added into the result list as additional element. If the string is empty the result is the empty list, like for split. If regexp is empty the string is split at every character, like split does. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[\t \r\n]+". BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
regular expression, split, string CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::split(n)