Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comparing variables in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing variables in awk Post 302338711 by Shinsuio on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 05:19:05 PM
Old 07-28-2009
Comparing variables in awk

I'm writing a shellscript that monitors the price of a watch. If the prices changes, it should email me. The body of the email will show the old price and the new price. However when I compare the two awk variables(oldprice and newprice) it always says they're not the same. The shellscript goes out and retrieves the web page source code, searches it for the price, once found it stores that price in the variable newprice. I then attempt to compare it to the old price, which comes from a file and is stored in the variable oldprice, but have problems there. I don't know if awk stores it as a string or as a float variable. I am also a little unsure about how to go about mailing myself when they are not the same. I'll appreciate any help you can give me.Smilie

Code:
#!/bin/sh

wget -qO- http://cs.actx.edu/~craddock/unix2/lab11 | awk -v oldprice=`cat pricefile` '
    /<b class="price">/ {
    getline
    newprice = $0

if (oldprice ~ newprice) {
        print "The price is the same"
    }
    else{
        print "The price is not the same"
        system ("mail -s"The price has changed" username")
        print newprice > "pricefile"
    }
}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

I have searched and found a few threads that have dealt with this, but the examples I've tried haven't seemed to help. I am monitoring our database log for high checkpoints. I can parse out the checkpoint value which can be anywhere from zero into a 3 digit number. I set a variable to be the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

Script #!/bin/sh hardware=PC os=WindowsNET for i in `cat newservers` do x=`sudo /opt/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients |grep $i |head -40 |grep $i|awk '{print $3;exit}'` if then echo "$i is already added" else echo "Need to add" fi done O/p in debug mode bash-2.05$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajip23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Variables in Perl

Hi. I have three arrays. @a=('AB','CD','EF'); @b=('AB,'DG',HK'); @c=('DD','TT','MM'); I want to compare the elements of the first two array and if they match then so some substition. I tried using the if statement using the scalar value of the array but its not giving me any output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing variables

im trying to compare ipaddresses. i loop through an array to see if the ip is already is in the array and if it is it should set a flag and then i wont add it to the array. but its just adding all the ipaddresses to the array if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing variables in awk array

Hi, I am trying to sort and display the below(like) input using awk command: Input: ------ 0;A 4;A 5;A 33;A 45;A 0;B 4;B 5;B 33;B 45;B Output (desired): (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvamsikr
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing multiple variables

Hi! I've come up with a ksh-script that produces one or more lists of hosts. At the and of the script, I would like to print only those hosts that exists in all the lists. Ex. HOSTS="host1 host2 host3 host11" HOSTS="host1 host2 host4" HOSTS="host2 host11" HOSTS="host2 host5 host6 host7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bugenhagen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing multiple variables by 'if then'

Hi, I am a noob at shell scripting. basically I am trying to compare row counts from 8 tables in different databases. I have managed to get the row counts using awk from the spool files for both databases. now I have 16 variables with me for database 1 : $A $B $C $D $E $F $G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smallville
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing content of two variables

I have very abstract need of "comparing two variables" and take subsequent actions. please refer to image below https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-frNk5iA3q1c/TjI3lE0sWOI/AAAAAAAAAIE/fxzB1w07gas/script_block.JPG I have a part of script which reads a file and generates variables based on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparing variables

Is there a way to compare variables in a 'awk'? I've been trying for a while and can't figure it out. I'm guessing its not possible :/ VAR=Bob awk '$3 == $VAR { print $1 }' file.txt Regards Jikuu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jikuu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two variables

I have a script like this. Just couldn't get the comparison part work. Any thought? thanks, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x STEP=`echo $(basename $0 .ksh) | tr "" ""` log=/skip.log while read LINE do if then echo `date`: STEP $STEP skipped by user >> $log exit 0 fi done < $1 echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostmic
0 Replies
FSF-FUNDING(7)								GNU							    FSF-FUNDING(7)

NAME
fsf-funding - Funding Free Software DESCRIPTION
Funding Free Software If you want to have more free software a few years from now, it makes sense for you to help encourage people to contribute funds for its development. The most effective approach known is to encourage commercial redistributors to donate. Users of free software systems can boost the pace of development by encouraging for-a-fee distributors to donate part of their selling price to free software developers---the Free Software Foundation, and others. The way to convince distributors to do this is to demand it and expect it from them. So when you compare distributors, judge them partly by how much they give to free software development. Show distributors they must compete to be the one who gives the most. To make this approach work, you must insist on numbers that you can compare, such as, ``We will donate ten dollars to the Frobnitz project for each disk sold.'' Don't be satisfied with a vague promise, such as ``A portion of the profits are donated,'' since it doesn't give a basis for comparison. Even a precise fraction ``of the profits from this disk'' is not very meaningful, since creative accounting and unrelated business decisions can greatly alter what fraction of the sales price counts as profit. If the price you pay is $50, ten percent of the profit is probably less than a dollar; it might be a few cents, or nothing at all. Some redistributors do development work themselves. This is useful too; but to keep everyone honest, you need to inquire how much they do, and what kind. Some kinds of development make much more long-term difference than others. For example, maintaining a separate version of a program contributes very little; maintaining the standard version of a program for the whole community contributes much. Easy new ports contribute little, since someone else would surely do them; difficult ports such as adding a new CPU to the GNU Compiler Collection contribute more; major new features or packages contribute the most. By establishing the idea that supporting further development is ``the proper thing to do'' when distributing free software for a fee, we can assure a steady flow of resources into making more free software. SEE ALSO
gpl(7), gfdl(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Verbatim copying and redistribution of this section is permitted without royalty; alteration is not permitted. gcc-4.0.1 2009-05-18 FSF-FUNDING(7)