Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting Rid of Having to Write to Flat Files Post 302338684 by dentar on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 04:12:13 PM
Old 07-28-2009
there are several different ways to do this.

1: If it is discrete pieces of data like names, addresses or whatever, you can use a "sqlite" database. No engine needed, just the libraries and one database file. You'll need to know SQL of course.

2: If you're worried about leaving a mess, keep a variable with a list of the file names in it, like $TMPFILES, then at the end, just rm $TMPFILES. Another thing you can do is use $$ to create them. e.g. TMP1=/tmp/$$.tmp

You can use variables if you're not dealing with tons and tons of data.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of blank line in a flat text file

Hi, I have a flat text file which contains blank line between each text line. Is there any command to get rid of it? Thanks for your help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xfang
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat Files

I have a flat file like this 0001 THER ULT HEAD & NECK VES 0002 THER ULTRASOUND OF HEART 0003 THER ULT PERIPHERAL VES 0009 OTHER THERAPEUTIC ULTSND 0010 IMPLANT CHEMOTHERA AGENT 0011 INFUS DROTRECOGIN ALFA 0012 ADM INHAL NITRIC OXIDE I need to conver this to a comma delimited flat file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files, to get rid of extension

I have a good script to rename multiple files, but what's the best way I can remove some text from multiple filenames? Say I have a directory with 35 files with a .XLS at the end, how can I rename them to remove the .XLS but keep everything the same, without having to mv manually. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting rid of duplicate files

i have a bad problem with multiple occurances of the same file in different directories.. how this happened i am not sure! but I know that i can use awk to scan multiple directory trees to find an occurance of the same file... some of these files differ somwhat but that does not matter! the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to write Flat Files by shell script using Oracle Database

Hello There.. I came to a situation where I need to write flat files using shell scripts, I need to pull the records from the oracle database and create the flat file, This process should be automated. Can any shell script expert out here to help me.. please.. Will be really glad to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbuddy
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of files with no ownership

I am in the process of learning how to do system administration (just on my own Linux machine) and have been working with the find command. One of the things I tried was find / -nouser -o -nogroup I redirected the output of my find query into a text file, and when I did a wc -l on it, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kermit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 flat files

Hi Frnds, I have a flat file with millions of records. . Now I on this. (I prefer for AWK as its gives good performance.) Old_file.txt ------------------ 1 gopi ase .... 2 arun pl ... 3 jack sutha .. 4 peter pm .. ... New_file.txt --------------- 4 peter pm .. .. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get rid of last _ in the files name?

ex: I have list of files in a folder. abc_def_geh_.txt abc_.txt abc_def_geh_12345_.txt ab134c_d345345ef_444geh_12345_.txt i need to rename all files to get rid of the _ before .txt result should look like this: abc_def_geh.txt abc.txt abc_def_geh_12345.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Normalize Data and write to a flat file

All, Can anyone please help me with the below scenario. I have a Flat file of the below format. ID|Name|Level|Type|Zip|MAD|Risk|Band|Salesl|Dealer|CID|AType|CValue|LV|HV|DCode|TR|DU|NStartDate|UserRole|WFlag|EOption|PName|NActivationDate|Os|Orig|Cus|OType|ORequired|DType 03|... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp999
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Multiline Files to Flat Files?

How to convert this: F1-R1 F1-R2 F1-R3 into a flat file for bash?? Each record F2-R1 F2-R2 F2-R3 F3-R1 F3-R2 F3-R3 F4-R1 F4-R2 F4-R3is on one line with all fields for that record, put into an output file. The output file should look like this when converted: F1-R1,F2-R1,F3-R1,F4-R1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bud1738
6 Replies
SC-CONFIG(1)						      General Commands Manual						      SC-CONFIG(1)

NAME
sc-config - script to get information about the installed version of SC SYNOPSIS
sc-config [--prefix[=DIR] ] [--exec-prefix[=DIR] ] [--version] [--libs] [--cppflags] [--cc] [--cflags] [--cxx] [--cxxflags] [--f77] [--f77flags] DESCRIPTION
The sc-config program can be used to obtain the compilers, compiler options and libraries needed to use the SC (Scientific Computing) tool- kit from your program. OPTIONS
The sc-config program returns information about how SC was compiled and installed. The following information is available: --prefix The directory where SC is installed. --version The version of SC. --libdir The directory were the libraries are found. --libs The libraries and library paths needed to link. --cppflags The include directories needed to build. --cc The C compiler. --cflags The C compiler flags. --cxx The C++ compiler. --cxxflags The C++ compiler flags. --f77 The FORTRAN 77 compiler. --f77flags The FORTRAN 77 compiler flags. EXAMPLES
To use the sc-config program to link your executable to SC, use a Makefile for GNU make similar to the following: SCCONFIG = /usr/bin/sc-config CXX := $(shell $(SCCONFIG) --cxx) CXXFLAGS := $(shell $(SCCONFIG) --cxxflags) CPPFLAGS := $(shell $(SCCONFIG) --cppflags) LIBS := $(shell $(SCCONFIG) --libs) myprog: myprog.o $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -o $@ $^ $(LIBS) Version 2 15 Feb 2001 SC-CONFIG(1)