Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCSI boot errors
Operating Systems Solaris SCSI boot errors Post 302338644 by pingmeback on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 02:13:56 PM
Old 07-28-2009
SCSI boot errors

Help needed please! I see the following scsi errors during boot up. The server eventually boots up successfully. Please let me now how to fix these errors:

Executing last command: boot
Boot device: disk File and args:
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_117350-62 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8 (glm0):
SCSI bus DATA IN phase parity error
Target 0 reducing sync. transfer rate
SCSI bus DATA IN phase parity error
Target 0 disabled wide SCSI mode
Target 0 reverting to async. mode
WARNING: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/sd@0,0 (sd0):
SCSI transport failed: reason 'tran_err': retrying command

---------- Post updated at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:55 PM ----------

I also see the following:
$ iostat -En
c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 2 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: SEAGATE Product: ST336607LSUN36G Revision: 0207 Serial No: 3JA0X5QR00007330
Size: 36.42GB <36418595328 bytes>

---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:05 PM ----------

and the following:
$ kstat -n sd0,err
module: sderr instance: 0
name: sd0,err class: device_error
Device Not Ready 0
Hard Errors 2
Illegal Request 0
Media Error 0
No Device 1
Predictive Failure Analysis 0
Product ST336607LSUN36G
Recoverable 0
Revision 0207
Serial No 3JA0X5QR00007330
Size 36418595328
Soft Errors 0
Transport Errors 0
Vendor SEAGATE
crtime 58.594507556
snaptime 1482.849586718

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Boot loop errors caused by RC.CONF

Hello all! I am praying someone can help me. I have been trying to install dual nics on my FreeBSD box. In my attempts I edited my RC.CONF file. I must have editing something wrong, because during the boot sequence, my machine gets through bringing up most of the services then it stops and gets... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezekiel61
5 Replies

2. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Custom kernel compiling, won't boot, and errors.

First of all, I'd like to preface this post by relaying that I have considerable experience with FreeBSD but I'm a Linux newb. I've been attempting to compile linux-2.6.29.3 from source and I'm having some problems and have a few newb questions... a) First of all, my kernel won't boot, it fails... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urbanriot
0 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 5.3 Boot Errors

IBM P Series #7026 Error Codes #E47E212E - init #1BA70F4E - SRC #BA431EB7 - SRC #C69F5C9B- SYSPROC #369DO49B - SYSPFS This happens on reboot the core dump fills up the root file system so I don't think it completes the dump. I can't read the core file with dbx. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tholmes
6 Replies

6. Hardware

How to boot from scsi id1

I'm running sco 5.0.6 on two independent hard drives. I have one hard drive set at scsi id 0 and can boot from it with no problems. I have another hard drive set at scsi id 1 but cannot boot from it. I'm using an adaptec 29160 controller card. I have set the boot scsi id to 1 in SCSI select but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: powwm
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Sparc Ultra 4 won't boot - disk errors

Hi all. I am seeing in one of our less-used servers that it crashed and now won't restart. I get the message 'continue with normal startup or boot into maintenance mode'. I go into maintenance and run fsck on /usr0 (mentioned in error at restart) it then reboots but goes right back to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
3 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

What do these SCSI errors mean?

Linux / Kernel experts, Please help. I'm getting errors with various return codes, similar to: kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 5 165> return code = 0x8000002 I would like to know how / where to lookup the definition of the numbers between the angle brackets, and the return code itself. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bumblebee
3 Replies

9. Hardware

Cannot boot from scsi cdrom

I have a server with a scsi raid controller (for hard drives) and a scsi controller (for tape drive and cd-rom). I am trying to boot from the cd-rom but can't. During boot up, bootable media is detected in the cd-rom but the system will not boot from it. BIOS for the raid controller installs but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)