Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris launching an automated telnet session using dtterm Post 302338451 by rajeev_solanki on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 02:32:55 AM
Old 07-28-2009
launching an automated telnet session using dtterm

Hi ,
I have to write a shell script which would be invoked from a Java program. The job of this script would be to launch a telnet session i was using dtterm for the same and the expect command to automate that.

spawn dtterm -e telnet <server ip address>

expect "Username:"
send "$username\r"
expect "Password:"
send "$pass\r"
interact

The problem here ia m facing is that the above script which is executed from within a java program opens the dtterm as a child process over which i don't have any control in my java program.But i need to kill this tell session when my java programm is getting closed.

Could you tell me how to capture the process id of the this new dtterm process and send it back to my java code which would later kill this telnet session .

//rajeev

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet session timeout

hi, we can set something such that if the user has been idle for a while, it will auto disconnect. where to do so? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one time automated ftp session

How can an automated script be setup to run at a later time in the day. cron runs recurring tasks. I am interested in a one time process. I want to back up a number of files whenever I make changes to an application and ftp for backup purposes. The script to automate the zipping of files has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msmkeml
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet session does not expire

Dear friends.. Our project has a module that runs on handheld devices. Through the handheld we telnet to solaris where the application actually runs. I noticed that after starting a session through the handheld, if i go out of range or if i remove and replace the battery in the handheld, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Session

{ sleep 2 echo "$user" sleep 2 echo "$password" sleep 2 echo " ls" sleep 10 echo "exit" }| telnet $server I have a machine x and i have executed the above script on machine 'x'. i entered the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Telnet session

Hi Is there any way whilst in a telnet session you can view your client machine name that you are using to connect to the Unix box ? :eek: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet Session to AIX

Hello, I have AIX 5.3 at home connected to netgear router. Port Forwarding has been enabled on the router. Problem is that if I want to telnet, I have to try 2 or 3 times before I can get a logon prompt. It times out for first or second time (Connection to session <IP_Address> failed: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluebee
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disconnecting a telnet session

How can I disconnect an existing telnet session? The host is a serial port server with multiple ports. The users login using the host's name and a port, i.e. telnet host01 1235. Thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
14 Replies

8. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run scripts within a telnet session?

I want to connect to a remote host using telnet there is no username/password verification just telnet remotehost then I need to input some commands for initialization and then I need to repeat the following commands: cmd argument argument is read from a local file, in this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esolve
1 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)