Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting (g)awk how to preseve white spaces (FS characters) or read a right subpart of $0? Post 302338434 by shri_nath on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 02:20:18 AM
Old 07-28-2009
I am sorry the line

-rwxrwxrwx 1 sn sn 22395 2007-05-11 08:37 This is a file name with eighteen spaces.jar*

in the original had multiple spaces in the name of the file (on the html posting here on the forum those got collapsed into single spaces Smilie)

It is something like:
ThisXisXXaXXXfileXXXXnameXXXXwithXXXeighteen spaces.jar*

---------- Post updated at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandegreat25
you can try to use cut
Code:
echo $line | cut -d' ' -f8-

Hi ryandegreat25

Your quick and correct answer is appreciated. Yes I could use "cut", "read" etc., but all of these are shell (external/internal) commands.

But could we solve this inside the gawk script itself (I mean without calling other shell commands/scripts) ? I already have a gawk script in place that does some other things too. If it cannot be done, then I will have to do a "surgery" on the script and split it into possibly many scripts with "read" or "cut" piped in between.

Thanks.

-sn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete white spaces

hi all... i have the next question: i have a flat file with a lot of records (lines). Each record has 10 fields, which are separated by pipe (|). My problem is what sometimes, in the first record, there are white spaces (no values, nothing) in the beginning of the record, like this: ws ws... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim white spaces using awk

Hi, I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk. C,FOOTER , 00000642 C,FOOTER , 00000707 C, FOOTER,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimming white spaces

I have a variable that calls in a string from txt file. Problem is the string comes with an abundance of white spaces trailing it. Is there any easy way to trim the tailing white spaces off at the end? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace only first found white spaces with some other characters

Anybody can help me How can I replace only four first white spaces with , or any other characters aaaa 08/31/2004 08/31/2009 permanent Logical Processors in System: 64 bedad 08/16/2001 08/15/2011 permanent Logical Processors in System: 64 badnv14 05/31/2008 05/30/2013 permanent Logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
5 Replies

6. Solaris

removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file

what my code is doing, it is executing a sql file and the resullset of the query is getting stored in the text file in a fixed format. for that fixed format i have used the following code:: Code: awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

8. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - read white spaces

Hello! I have one problem with my bash script - I would like to be able to read white space characters from stdin (for example single " ") - can I acomplish that somehow? I need to read only one character at the time, so I use read -s -n 1 var but it doesn't work for whitespaces apparently. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank/white spaces and special characters

Hello All , 1. I am trying to do a task where I need to remove Blank spaces from my file , I am usingawk '{$1=$1}{print}' file>file1Input :- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ; Output:- ;05/12/1990 ;31/03/2014 ;This command is not removing all spaces from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)