Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information Post 302338326 by legharb on Monday 27th of July 2009 03:07:43 PM
Old 07-27-2009
How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello,

I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this.

I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz.

I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are multiple entries within the file so I am try to also limit the amount of output with the tail or head command.

My command is something like this, although it is incorrect:

gunzip -c file1.*.gz |grep -v "Jul 25 22:16:09" | tail -n 20

Thank you kindly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching text files on specific columns for duplicates

Is it possible to search through a large file full of rows and columns of text and retrieve only the rows that contain duplicates fields, searchiing for duplicates on col4 & col6 Sample below Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 G405H SURG FERGUSON ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - searching for a specific string

ppl, this is my "file" with fields orderno orderdate orderdesc telno street city 1 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 2 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 3 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 4 01/04/2006 abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in searching 2 files for strings then perform an action

I have 2 files. I basically want to search both of them to see if the 1st column ($1) matches and if it matches then check to see if the 2nd column ($2) matches, then execute some code showing the results of the matches. File 1: AAA 123 misc blah BBB 456 CCC 789 File 2: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform some operation on a specific coulmn starting from a specific line

I have a txt file having rows and coulmns, i want to perform some operation on a specific coulmn starting from a specific line. eg: 50.000000 1 1 1 1000.00000 1000.00000 50000.000 19 19 3.69797533E-07 871.66394 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for files with specific extensions

Hi, Could someone give me a hand with a search for files with two possible extensions, please. The requirement is simple - I need to issue a single ls command searching for files with the suffix of, say, *.txt and *.log. I've tried to use ls *.txt *.log which works if there are both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilmw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep bunch of gzip files to count based on category

Started using unix commands recently. I have 50 gzip files. I want to grep each of these files for a line count based particular category in column 3. How can I do that? For example Sr.No Date City Description Code Address 1 06/09 NY living here 0909 10st st nyc 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinxx
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep in Perl - Searching through multiple files

I'm attempting to use grep in Perl with very little success. What I would like to do in Perl is get the output of the following grep code: grep -l 'pattern' * This gives me a list of all the files in a directory that contain the pattern that was searched. My attempts to do this in Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Moving of file content to another two files after searching with specific pattern

Hello, Please help me with this!! Thanks in advance!! I have a file named file.gc with the content: 1-- Mon Sep 10 08:53:09 CDT 2012 2revoke connect from FR2261; 3delete from mkt_allow where grantee = 'FR2261'; 4grant connect to FR2261 with '******'; 5alter user FR2261 comment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Searching the value of a specific attribute among xmls files from a particular directory location

Hi Folks , I have the different xml files at the following directory `/opt/app/rty/servers/tr/current/ops/config` Let's say there are three files named abc.xml bv.xml ert.xml Now inside these xml there can be many tags as like shown below <bean id="sdrt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)