Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: safeguarding root drive
Operating Systems Solaris safeguarding root drive Post 302338141 by ikorolev on Monday 27th of July 2009 06:33:27 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh Shah
I have root drive which i want to guard against possible hard disk loss. How can backup and restore the all user created , filesystem , mount points , meta devices if at all there be hdd failure . Any pointer to good document would be good help . Ours is solaris 8 .
Several paths:
1. mirror root disk (for example with Solaris volume manager)
2. Backup with ufsdump to another server (ufsdump 0f - / > /net/server/my_backup/root.dump and so on for others filesystems like var, opt)
3. Backup with tar to another server (cd /; tar cf - / > /net/server/my_backup/root.tar )
4. Use any backup software like Veritas NetBackup, Legato and tape drive

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Solaris

how to ufsrestore root drive then activate disksuite

I restored a backup of a root drive to a new disk on Solaris 8 which contained a fully functioning disksuite 4.2.1 mirror configuration. The backup is from an identical system and OS. I want to install a second identical disk and recover the mirror configuration. The root disk is up but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Cloning the root drive - Help Plz

I use Sunfire V480R , and i am seeing lot of scsi transport errors for the root drive & i think it is going to die . the system is having 2 drives & the second drive is kept unused . can someone guide me how do i clone the root drive to the seconddrive and make that bootable . (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root owns removable drive and rsync won't work

I'm using rsync to back up to a usb key rsync -r -t -v -a /home/pc/AGS/ /media/DIESEL/pc/AGS/ It worked fine for a long time, and then not so good. Running from the command line there are a lot of complaints about 'can't chgrp ...'. It's formatted to fat32 so I can read it in all kinds of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: triplemaya
0 Replies

5. Hardware

How to Clone a Drive with 512 byte Sectors to a Drive with 4096 bytes/sector (AF)?

I have a 320 GB drive which dual boots Windows and Debian: Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal):... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillipsoasis
0 Replies

6. Solaris

How to check at which drive root FS is?

Dear Gurus, Could you please help me? After problems with power supply, our server was done. While trying to boot it with "boot" command, I am getting message: {3} ok boot Boot device: /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/disk@w5000cca0043b59fd,0 File and args: Boot load failed. The file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive

Hi Guys, Can any one help me on this. I need help to move .csv/.xls file from unix path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive? Regards, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Cannot access or boot encrypted drive (gave up waiting for root device...)

I cannot access or boot from my C drive. I'm running Zorin 9 and the drive is a Samsung SSD. The disk was encrypted on install, and that has not given me any problems before. When I start the system it gets to the memory test page, and does not then load the password prompt, which it used to.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David4321
1 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log DESCRIPTION
The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross- indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands. The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation. Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup Server. When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number. Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BDB.DB0(5)