Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl: varible-sized arrays?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: varible-sized arrays? Post 302338015 by CRGreathouse on Monday 27th of July 2009 12:56:22 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Perl: varible-sized arrays?

How do you store strings in a variable-sized array?

Background:
I wrote a program earlier today to work with a very large text file. I chose Perl because it lets me do some nice formatting on the text I grab, instead of just using a shell script to con'cat'enate egrep results.

The program worked pretty nicely, outputting html that is displayed in the browser. (This is useful, not just pretty: the generated web page has many links, and it's much more convenient to click than copy/paste/modify.) But I wanted to modify the results based on whether there is a match or not for each section. If there are 1 or more matches, write the header, the formatted matches, and the footer; otherwise write nothing.

I have a large @all array which will contain a few (maybe 0-100) matches for a particular regular expression. I'd like to store the matches -- actually, formatted text based on those matches -- in an array so I can work with them later. What's the best way to do this? I'd like to get better with perl rather than just emulate C in perl, so I thought it might be a good idea to post here rather than just butt my head against the language a bit longer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace

Hi, I have a program that searches for a particular string patten. I am however having difficulty passing the varible $i (in a loop) as the string pattern to replace. Using either perl or sed search and replace statements, I get the same kinda result. For example, using the perl: for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
3 Replies

2. Programming

perl arrays

hello ppl, i'm coding a perl script and i have the following situation: @array1 = ("test1", "test2", "test3"); @array2 = ("something1", "something2", "something1"); $var1 = "with_one_of_the_array1_values"; $var2 = "with_one_of_the_array2_values"; what i want to do is to compare $var1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crashnburn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Arrays and Substituion

@xray =~ s/^ *//g; @xray =~ s/ *$//g; @xray =~ s/\s+/ /g; Guess I have a two part question ... First Is there a way to make substitutions, remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, and crunch multiple spaces into a single space, to the entire array, or must the substitutions be done on on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl array of arrays

Hi, I am trying to assign an array as a value to one of the array element, I mean I have an array @KS and array @kr. I want array @KS to hold @kr as an element. So I am doin this $KS=@kr; But the value stored is number of elements in the @kr array. Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl arrays

Hi I need some help using arrays in perl. I have an array say var and a variable var1. I want to check if the var1 is present in the array. How do I check that ? my @var = 1...10; my $var1 =5; if ( $var1 in @var ) { ....... } else { ....... } Something like above. Can some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing arrays in perl

Hi all, I am trying to compare two arrays in perl using the following code. foreach $item (@arrayA){ push(@arrayC, $item) unless grep(/$item/, @arrayB); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash containing arrays

Hi, I am not that good at Perl. But here's what I wanna do. I want to create a hash where the keys would point to different arrays. This is what I have tried to do but in vain :( @arr=(1,2,3); @arr1=(3,2,1); %hashOfLists=(); $hashOfLists{Key1}=@arr."\n"; $hashOfLists{Key2}=@arr1."\n";... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 arrays in perl

Hi, I have 2 arrays: @a=qw(19190289 18381856 12780546 10626296 9337410 8850557 7740161 8101063); @b=qw(18309897 17612870 10626296 16871843 7740161 19947571 18062861); $len=@a; print "<br> length of array1: $len<br>"; $len1=@b; print "<br> length of array2: $len1<br>"; The output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in perl

Hi all, I have a log file which has logs. I am reading logs line by line into perl arrays. I want to print all the arrays elements starting from 8(word) to end of the line. print array......array to a new file. and I have to do it in perl as res of the program in perl. Please help me on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: compare two arrays

Hi friends, I want to compare two arrays and find matched one using perl? Also, I want to delete unmatched one. Plz suggest me solution (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Renesh
1 Replies
MB_EREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)						 1					       MB_EREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)

mb_ereg_replace_callback - Perform a regular expresssion seach and replace with multibyte support using a callback

SYNOPSIS
string mb_ereg_replace_callback (string $pattern, callable $callback, string $string, [string $option = "msr"]) DESCRIPTION
Scans $string for matches to $pattern, then replaces the matched text with the output of $callback function. The behavior of this function is almost identical to mb_ereg_replace(3), except for the fact that instead of $replacement parameter, one should specify a $callback. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The regular expression pattern. Multibyte characters may be used in $pattern. o $callback - A callback that will be called and passed an array of matched elements in the $subject string. The callback should return the replacement string. You'll often need the $callback function for a mb_ereg_replace_callback(3) in just one place. In this case you can use an anonymous function to declare the callback within the call to mb_ereg_replace_callback(3). By doing it this way you have all information for the call in one place and do not clutter the function namespace with a callback function's name not used anywhere else. o $string - The string being checked. o $option - Matching condition can be set by $option parameter. If i is specified for this parameter, the case will be ignored. If x is specified, white space will be ignored. If m is specified, match will be executed in multiline mode and line break will be included in '.'. If p is specified, match will be executed in POSIX mode, line break will be considered as normal character. Note that e cannot be used for mb_ereg_replace_callback(3). RETURN VALUES
The resultant string on success, or FALSE on error. NOTES
Note The internal encoding or the character encoding specified by mb_regex_encoding(3) will be used as the character encoding for this function. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mb_ereg_replace_callback(3) example <?php // this text was used in 2002 // we want to get this up to date for 2003 $text = "April fools day is 04/01/2002 "; $text.= "Last christmas was 12/24/2001 "; // the callback function function next_year($matches) { // as usual: $matches[0] is the complete match // $matches[1] the match for the first subpattern // enclosed in '(...)' and so on return $matches[1].($matches[2]+1); } echo mb_ereg_replace_callback( "(d{2}/d{2}/)(d{4})", "next_year", $text); ?> The above example will output: April fools day is 04/01/2003 Last christmas was 12/24/2002 Example #2 mb_ereg_replace_callback(3) using anonymous function supported in PHP 5.3.0 or later <?php // this text was used in 2002 // we want to get this up to date for 2003 $text = "April fools day is 04/01/2002 "; $text.= "Last christmas was 12/24/2001 "; echo mb_ereg_replace_callback( "(d{2}/d{2}/)(d{4})", function ($matches) { return $matches[1].($matches[2]+1); }, $text); ?> SEE ALSO
mb_regex_encoding(3), mb_ereg_replace(3), Anonymous functions, information about the callback type. PHP Documentation Group MB_EREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)