Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: merge files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting merge files Post 302337948 by danmero on Sunday 26th of July 2009 12:22:03 PM
Old 07-26-2009
Using just awk:
Code:
awk '{FS=OFS="|"}NR==FNR{_[NR]=$1;next}{$1=_[FNR]}1' file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge files

Hello guys, I gotta question, i have a lot of log files (simple text) and i need to merge them in group of 10 files, one next to the other, that have sense? For example, i have the files: File1 File2 File3 File4 . . File100 I need to merge the contents of each file into a new file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge files

Hi, i have the files f1 and f2 like: files f1: c1 a1 c2 a2 c3 a3 file f2: c1 b1 c2 b2 c3 b3 i want merge the f1 and f2 file to f3 file like: c1 a1 b1 c2 a2 b3 c3 a3 b3........ .... . . please help me onthis..... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i merge these two files into several...

Given are File A and File B File A has for example 5 lines: AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE File B has 3 lines: 111 222 333 How can i merge A and B into: 111 222 333 AAA (first line from A) then a new file: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Y-T
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 files

Hi , This might be the stupidest question I am asking, but I am struck with this problem. I am trying to merge 2 files, file1 has header and file2 has contents. while I merge them , it merges from the 1st line of file1. for ex: file1 col1|col2|col3| file2 123|234|456|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

MERGE FILES

Hi all! How could I merge all the text files (in format xml) of a single folder, after having deleted from each of them all the text from its beginning up to a specific string: "<body>" ? Thanks a lot! mjomba (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge files

Hi, I would like to know how can I merge files based on their coordinates, but mantaining the score of each file in the output file like: Note: 1st column is for chromosome, 2nd for start, 3rd for end of segment, 4th for score file1: 1 200 300 20 1 400 500 30 file2: 1 200 350 30 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fadista
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files and generate a resume in two files

Dear Gents, Please I need your help... I need small script :) to do the following. I have a thousand of files in a folder produced daily. I need first to merge all files called. txt (0009.txt, 0010.txt, 0011.txt) and and to output a resume of all information on 2 separate files in csv... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge two files?

Dear Frens, I have two files and need to merge into one file. Like File_1: Field1 Field2 1 4 File_2: Field1 Field2 3 5 I need one single output as File_1: Field1 Field2 1 4 3 5 This means taking header from either file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisha_singh
8 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print RCS's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 1999-08-27; Release Date: 23:37:10Z. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
23:37:10Z MERGE(1)