Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to grep a subdomain
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to grep a subdomain Post 302337617 by peterro on Friday 24th of July 2009 01:31:10 PM
Old 07-24-2009
I think you're misunderstanding. You don't need to modify the input file with the escaped dots (\.), just search for domains using the search term with escapes.

My pseudo code:

Code:
grep zone input_file | awk '{print $2}' | uniq (or pretty close to that)
for domain in "domain list from grep output"
do
  sed to replace . with \. in $domain
  grep -c escaped_domain from input file to get count
  if count > 1
  then
    echo $domain is not unique, fix file
  fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

email account for subdomain (HOW-TO)

Hai i need to create an email account for subhost... I tried creating an unix user account... But the adduser (or) useradd command is not working in subhost login even when i entered with the root login of the subhost... If i create unix user account with root login of host, then the mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collins
1 Replies

2. Linux

domain pointer for the subdomain

hi frnds. I have created a domain called mydomain.net i have added a subdomain tim.mydomain.net , cynthia.mydomain.net and harley.mydomain.net how could i add a domainpointer for these subdomains as well. So I can run jsp on it. Does any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naik_mit
0 Replies

3. Programming

how to know if a directory is normal one or subdomain?

there are 2 directiries under public_html directory: public_html/images public_html/pictures "images" is a normal directory (uploaded by ftp) and "pictures" is a subdomain (created in cPanel). if using cpanel, I know "pictures" is subdomain because it is displayed as subdomain in cpanel.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hello20009876
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My Deleted SubDomain is mirroring main site

I deleted my subdomains using cPanel. But when i Got to subdomain.site.com it still pulls up my main site . what can I do ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upirate
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find subdomain in url

I want to find out subdomains in the url using shell script. e.g narendra.eukhost.com abc.domainname.co.uk I want to extract narendra & abc from the above urls. Please any one can suggest idea or script ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
2 Replies

6. Solaris

subdomain name entry in DNS server

Hi all, I'm tying to add dns a A record to a dns server running on Solaris 10 on sun's SPARC machine i want to do the following add host name to point to an IP address for a machine running win2k3 both machines have real IPs and exposed to the internet where can i add the A records on DNS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

MX record for a subdomain

Hi all, I have problem regarding public subdomain delegation i have created an A record for subzone in BIND on a machine running Solaris10 Sparc to point to another machine running win2k3 as follows sub.domain.tld and www.sub.domain.tld now i want to add an MX record for mail routing for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Tld.subdomain.name.subname

Way back in the early dawn of the 'net, there were two competing notations for specifying a FQDN, the familiar name.subdomain.domain.tld (such as news.bbc.co.uk) and the reversed tld.domain.subdomain.name (uk.co.bbc.news). And if memory serves, only the UK used the latter style of FQDN for a period... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekludwig
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subdomain is not working, debian, apache

Hi, I use debian jessie, apache. I am not allowed to post links here at this forum, I am new user. I made subdomain porodin.predicsasa.com and it is working, vhost file is porodin.conf in /etc/apache2/sites-available then I copied vhost file and made it hosting.conf, did a2ensite hosting and it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanford
5 Replies

10. IP Networking

Free subdomain to my IP Address and Static IP

Hi all, I would need to register a random free subdomain address and associate that to my IP Address. Any suggestion of a good service? Also I don't have a static IP but i remember that there are services that automatically reset the right IP address behind the subdomain but i don't remember... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tameto
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)