Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: incomplete last line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting incomplete last line Post 302337470 by Franklin52 on Friday 24th of July 2009 08:02:12 AM
Old 07-24-2009
One way:

Code:
awk -v n=$(wc -l < file) 'END{if(NR != n)system("echo "" >> file")}' file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append newline to files with incomplete last line

Hi all, Is there any way I can check a file for the linefeed character at the end of the file, and append one only if it is missing (ie. Incomplete last line)? Need to do this because I need to write a script to process files FTP-ed over from various machines, which may or may not be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziyi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join of files is incomplete?!

Hi folks, I am using the join command to join two files on a common field as follows: File1.txt Adsorption|H01.181.529.047 Adult|M01.060.116 Children|M01.055 File2.txt 5|Adsorption|C0001674 7|Adult|C000001 6|Children|C00002 join -i -t "|" -a 2 -1 1 -2 2 File1.txt File2.txt This... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: s0460205
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

Incomplete three way handshake

I've got a strange problem with a single mail sender (it is one of those large free mail providers). My mail server works well with thousands of senders but not this one, so we have made a connection dump and it seems that the three way handshake is not completed 15:55:59.177431 IP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3wayTrouble
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore incomplete files

On Solaris & AIX, suppose there is a directory 'dir'. Log files of size approx 1MB are continuously being deposited here by scp command. I have a script that scans this dir every 5 mins and moves away the log files that have been deposited so far. How do I design my script so that I pick up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
6 Replies

5. Solaris

How to ignore incomplete files

On Solaris, suppose there is a directory 'dir'. Log files of size approx 1MB are continuously being deposited here by scp command. I have a script that scans this dir every 5 mins and moves away the log files that have been deposited so far. How do I design my script so that I pick up *only*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script incomplete

#!/bin/bash DIR=/dir/$(date +%y%m) || mkdir "$DIR" for D in $@ # obtem os argumentos do cp /usr/home/backup if backup=null then mkdir backup done How can I complete that script, that's not value, can someone help me complete this... The point of the program is: - If the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strshel
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incomplete last line

I need help with appending the last line to the file only if the last line is incomplete. I tried awk 1 filename > new_filename but it appends to every file and I only want to append to the file if the last line is incomplete (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smee
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with incomplete Code

Hello, Since i am new in shell scripting, i need some help from you guys. :rolleyes: I am trying to implement an automata that reflects the attached photo.. The main idea behind is to take an array of (0 & 1)s from the user and terminate it by "end". Then, the string is send to the function... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Geekie
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete incomplete data

Hi all, Please help with the following example. I want to keep all people in the data, who at least have Firstname or Lastname or both and at least 1 row of Details. So, Person4 lacking both Firstname and Lastname will be deleted, Person5 with no Details will be deleted. Firstname,Lastname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
3 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)