Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: troubleshooting "mail"
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers troubleshooting "mail" Post 302337384 by euclid3628800 on Friday 24th of July 2009 03:59:30 AM
Old 07-24-2009
troubleshooting "mail"

I'm trying to write a script that periodically sends email with interesting information from my home computer to my gmail account, but (most of) my mails are not getting through. I have tried using mail, sendmail, and mailx and all fail equally. I have searched high and low for a solution. Many sources say something like "you have to configure sendmail", but this seems to be way beyond me.

Some mails get bounced back as "undeliverable" but strangely enough, some of the test emails I sent *did* get through, but arrived over a week after they were sent!!! Can someone please explain to me how to configure my system (mac os x.5) to send a simple plain text email??? Speak slowly and use small words please Smilie.

Thanks!
--Euclid

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
INCM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   INCM(1)

NAME
incm - Incorporating new mails for Mew SYNOPSIS
incm [options] DESCRIPTION
The incm utility incoporates new mails from the mbox or the maildir to Mew's inbox folder. The options are as follows: -a Retrieve all mails from maildir/{cur,new} for maildir. -b Backup mails. mbox: No truncate mbox file. maildir: To maildir/cur directory. -c Use the Content-Length: field, instead of the "From " line, as a mail separator for mbox. -d path Path to mbox/maildir. If path is a file, mbox is assumed. If path is a directory, maildir is assumed. -m path The same as the -d option. -s Read one mail from stdin instead of mbox/maildir. -i inboxdir A path to the inbox directory. -h Display this help message. -v Display the version. mbox For mbox, the mail separator is "From " in the beginning of lines. The incm utility does not convert ">From " to "From " in the beginning of lines in the body. On Solaris, Content-Length: should be used with the -c option to tell the end of mail. To lock mbox, both a lock file("user.lock") and flock() (or lockf(), or open(LOCK_EX) are used. maildir For maildir, no lock and no separator are necessary. Consider the following situation: cur/{1,2} new/{3,4} Executing incm without the options results in: cur/{1,2} new/{} to inbox: {3,4} Executing incm with the -a option results in: cur/{} new/{} to inbox: {1,2,3,4} Executing incm with the -b option results in: cur/{1,2,3,4} new/{} to inbox: {3,4} Executing incm with the -a option and the -b otpion results in: cur/{1,2,3,4} new/{} to inbox: {1,2,3,4} So, if both options are specified, messages are retrieved multiple times. December 25, 2001 INCM(1)