Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Protecting access to partition Post 302337300 by Corona688 on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 07:11:26 PM
Old 07-23-2009
This is just a confusion of terms I think. I don't think "instance owning database partition" is the same thing at all, it sounds like something happening inside the database, not a partition outside of it; and a database won't be able to do much with a partition, but could store files inside its filesystem if you give it one. Usually, only root has access to the partitions; the filesystems inside them keep their own counsel so to speak.

A partition in OS terms is just a slice of disk space. It acts like a huge file of fixed size. A database wouldn't find this too useful unless you have something extremely specific in mind, nor would most other things, they'd rather create many files of smaller size and directories to order them; so usually a filesystem is created in these partitions.

Once the filesystem is created inside the partition, it can be mounted by the OS, after which it acts just like a directory. It has a user and group like any other directory and can be owned by whatever user you want irrespective of who has raw access to the partition.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access FreeBSD (BSD) partition from Windows NT/2000/XP

Hello, I have already installed FreeBSD into my hard disk. In one partition I have Windows 2000, and on another FreeBSD. I can access Windows partition from FreeBSD, but is there any way to access FreeBSD partition from Windows? I know how to access Linux (ext/ext2) partition from Win, there is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aoidas
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to access a solaris partition

Hi, I have the present scenario on a x86 machine. fdisk c0d0p0 Cylinders Partition Status Type Start End Length % 1 Active Solaris2 1 2500 2500 61 2 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
14 Replies

5. Linux

Error 24: Attempt to access block outside partition

Grub throwing Error:: Error 24: Attempt to access block outside partition. done the following root (hd0,0) After that when trying to load kernel it is throwing the error. Please guide. new to grub. Thx, Siva. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protecting a folder/directory against root access.

A friend and I run a vbulletin forum which recently got hacked. We believe what wound up happening was the attacker gained access to the VPS box and from there elevated their user accounts to admin status on our forums. Obviously if someone gets into our box in the future it'll be a disaster so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fannypack
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Is it possible access software installed on one partition from another

Hello Team my scenario is like i have 2 partitions on server. /apps and /home and i am trying to install my software in /apps partition.intstallation is successful but when i am trying to open something in that its showing blank screen. now if i install that software in /home it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalgourav1983
2 Replies
class_restore_database(3)				     Library Functions Manual					 class_restore_database(3)

NAME
class_restore_database - Restore the in-memory database from disk LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libclass.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <apar_types.h> #include <sys/class.h> class_save_database(class_apar_handle_t handle); PARAMETERS
The partition descriptor returned by class_open(). DESCRIPTION
After making updates to the in memory database, the application can cancel the updates by restoring the on-disk version with this routine. Note that the calling process must have root access privileges. RETURN VALUES
The operation successfully completed. An invalid partition handle was specified. SEE ALSO
Functions:class_add(3), class_init(3), class_create(3), class_close(3), class_change(3), class_configure(3), class_get_config_stats(3), class_delete(3), class_destroy(3), class_disable(3), class_enable(3), class_save_database(3), class_load_database(3), class_change_name(3), class_database_file_exists(3), class_database_name(3), class_database_modified(3), class_get_classes(3), class_get_class_members(3), Commands:class_admin(8), runclass(1), class_scheduling(4) Other: The System Administration guide. delim off class_restore_database(3)