Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare lines in two files (Memory getting exhausted) Post 302337178 by denn on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 02:23:09 PM
Old 07-23-2009
Without knowing the sizes of files involved it's not possible to give a precise answer.

this should work if file sizes are not too extreme; what is aproximate file sizes?

Code:
# first files need to be sorted
sort file1 > file1_sorted
sort file2 > file2_sorted

comm -1 -2 file1_sorted file2_sorted

the limited example given this works. If too large as stated above files will need to be split first.

the below link references a script that would breakup your files into whatever size chunks you specify.
HTML Code:
https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/45814-split-files-using-csplit.html#post302148039

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory exhausted in awk

Dear All, I have executed a awk script in linux box which consists of 21 Million records.And i have two mapping files of 500 and 5200 records.To my surprise i found an error awk: cmd. line:19: (FILENAME=/home/FILE FNR=21031272) fatal: Memory exhausted. Is there any limitation for records... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to compare lines in 2 files

Hello, I am new to scripting and need some help. In looking at other posts on this forum, I came up with the following logic. I cannot figure out why I am getting names of files of the current directory in my echo output. Scenario: message file has a line containing the version. Version.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files and to remove the matching lines on both the files

I have two files and need to compare the two files and to remove the matching lines from both the files (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files and then remove some lines

Hi everyone I have a dilemma and I'm hoping someone has an answer for me. I have two files: # cat masterfile line3 line4 line5 line6 line7 # cat tempfile line1 line2 line3 line4 I want to compare tempfile with masterfile. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

5. Web Development

PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted

Any clues on how to get rid of this PHP error? PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /website/www/includes/functions_manpages.php on line 58 PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted(tried to allocate 401 bytes)

While running script I am getting an error like Few lines in data are not being processed. After googling it I came to know that adding such line would give some memory to it ini_set("memory_limit","64M"); my input file size is 1 GB. Is that memory limit is based on RAM we have on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files by lines and columns

Inspired by the extremely short awk code from Ygor on this post I wanted to compare two files on only one field. I can't get it to work. Can anybody help on explaining the code and fix the code? My code which does not work: awk 'BEGIN{a=1};a!=1' file1.txt file2.txt >outfile.txt file1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdf
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare lines in 2 files

I have 2 files with exactly the same information (with header and separated by ";") and what I would like to do is print (for both files!) the columns that are different and also print the "key" column that is equal in the 2 files For example, if File1: key1;aaa;bbb;ccc key2;ddd;eee;fff... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare lines between two files

I have two files I need to compare these two files and take the lines that are common in both the files and consider the line present in second file for my further processing I have used "Awk" along with "FNR and NR" but that is not working gawk -F= ' > FNR==NR {a=$1; next}; > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies
curs_scroll(3X) 														   curs_scroll(3X)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_outopts(3X) curs_scroll(3X)