Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pasting a file under another file Post 302337160 by gromi on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 01:29:47 PM
Old 07-23-2009
pasting a file under another file

hi, i need to add a file under a file

for example

file 1:

1 3 6
2 4 7
3 5 8

file 2:

2 8 5
6 6 3
7 2 1

newfile:

1 3 6
2 4 7
3 5 8
2 8 5
6 6 3
7 2 1

My files has 139320 lines and 48 columns.. i looked at paste command but i couldn't find that flag..Any kind of commands can help..Thanks..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pasting text into an existing file

I have a text file that has over 300 lines that I need to paste identical data to. What is the easiest way to do this? For example if I have a file that has lines of text xxxxxxxx and I would like to change each line to look like this "display text(xxxxxxxx)". What would be the easiest way to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file

Hello I want to set two fields in a text file to be of size 20. how to do it using unix ? eg: ABC.txt Name | City I want Name and City both to be of size 20. Also If I am pasting it in other file the byte size should be preserved.i.e. If I want to append content of ABC.txt to other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file in unix

Preserve byte size of fields while pasting it to other file Hello I want to set two fields in a text file to be of size 20. how to do it using unix ? eg: ABC.txt Name | City I want Name and City both to be of size 20. Also If I am pasting it in other file the byte size should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashing201
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

data searching and pasting with in the file

Hi All, I have .csv file in which I am trying to manipulate a column date, I started with awk but i am not sure how to do the below logic in . the file has a 23 columns and in the first row if the value is Trend and in the second column the value is Analysis then the program has to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting a column into a text file

I have two text files: One is a single column of numbers and the other is a space delimited text file with multiple columns. I want to paste the single column of numbers into the second column of the latter text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying and Pasting columns from one text file to another

I have a tab delimited text file that I want to cut columns 3,4,5 from. Then I want to paste these columns into a space delimited text file between columns 2 and 3. I still want to keep the space delimited format in the final text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Problems, Lose formatting when copy pasting from formatted file.

Hello, I'm having trouble with formatting some text via the terminal. I can get it perfectly formatted, but when I try and copy paste the text from the output file it loses it's formatting. Very frustrating! Basically I have 7 files (data data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 data7) containing a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: facetoe
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Q] cutting from one column and pasting to another

I have a file laid out in columns with the first two lines line being: 219 432 4567 219 432 4587 I need to create a single line command to cut the characters in the 5th column and paste them back to the first column in the same file. (Hint:Two good solutions exist, one in which you use a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcampos7
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading files and pasting in another text file

Hi all, I have certain task to do, which involves reading the first column of 1.txt file. This is variable "event" 28434710 23456656 3456895 & finding this "event" in some other text file 2.txt, which has information in the following format #Zgamma: 1 run: 160998 event: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting problem

Hi Friends, Please help. I have 2 pipe delimited files; each one has different number of rows in it. I want to use "paste" to concatenate these files. However, while doing it, due to difference in number of rows in each files resulting file is in haphazard manner. E.g. file 1 Reliance Info|... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)