Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Apologies from a newbie!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Apologies from a newbie! Post 302336916 by pludi on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 05:29:30 AM
Old 07-23-2009
The quotes around the command are backticks, not single quotes. You could also try
Code:
myfile=$( ls Myfile* )

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

apologies to Perderabo

Sorry Perderabo, really was only asking advice on where best to post, and if I should post. Didn't intend for that missive to be posted. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
0 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

apologies

sorry, I recently posted twice, thinking it didn't go through. didn't mean to make you hassle with redundancy. thanks for your good work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: protienplant
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Help with deleting post, apologies about the earlier post.

Apologies about the earlier post, i didnt realise, could i delete that post? I apologise again, SynGc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SynGc
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Our Apologies for the Down Time This Weekend (Servercraft Migration)

In case you did not notice, our server was not available for about 10 hours this weekend. Our service provider (Servercraft) moved their entire data center from Houston to Dallas, TX. They sent numerous emails to me but because of how I have configured gmail, none of the messages made... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitPerl4PackageNamUser)Contributed Perl DocumenPerl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitPerl4PackageNames(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitPerl4PackageNames - Use double colon (::) to separate package name components instead of single quotes ('). AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Perl 5 kept single quotes ("'") as package component separators in order to remain backward compatible with prior "perl"s, but advocated using double colon ("::") instead. In the more than a decade since Perl 5, double colons have been overwhelmingly adopted and most people are not even aware that the single quote can be used in this manner. So, unless you're trying to obfuscate your code, don't use them. package Foo::Bar::Baz; #ok package Foo'Bar'Baz; #not ok CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
perlmod AUTHOR
Elliot Shank "<perl@galumph.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Elliot Shank. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitPerl4PackageNames(3)