Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Boot Messages changed after mondorestore Post 302336847 by shamik on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 02:10:58 AM
Old 07-23-2009
Question

Yes, i totally agree with what is said.

The problem is all the services get started as usual, but i dont see any messages like which services got started and which failed to start.

After observing boot log I came to know that the messages-
"EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
"

also come in normal unimaged system, and since they are very quick, we just cant read those. After the last message shown above, another message comes saying-
"switching to new root"

and thereafter the desired messages-

*** Welcome to Red Hat Linux Enterprise ***

Starting cups ..... [OK]
Starting NFS ...... [OK]
Starting *** ..... [OK]
Starting eth0 [OK]
....etc

start coming up.

But in the problem case described here, after image restore, the system doesnt show these messages. It stops for sometime at-
"EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode."

and then normal login prompt appears.

How can I get those messages to appear again as before ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot messages - how to eliminate them

Anyone would know how to get rid off a message that comes up during a boot-up on Solaris? It says that the clusters for this software are not installed. I deleted the software because it was crashing some other stuff but it did not get rid off all the stuff. Yes, I am coming from windows and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: softarch
2 Replies

2. Solaris

boot messages

(Solaris 8, 4 cpu's) When I look at my boot messages (/var/adm/messages or dmesg) I noticed the following: Sep 23 08:53:00 server1 unix: cpu0: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 0 impl 0x11 ver 0xa0 clock 450 MHz) Sep 23 08:53:00 server1 unix: cpu1: SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 1 impl 0x11 ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

3. Linux

boot messages

Where do all those messages at boot time get stored / logged? like: starting eth0 : OK starting mysql : OK etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. AIX

has bosboot command changed characteristics of boot image?

hi all i just found one of my p650 server showing a warning message when i tried to run bosboot command after upgrading TL to AIX 530803. i also tried to run chpv -c hdisk0 and chpv -c hdisk1 to clear out the old boot info in hdisk0 and hdisk1 and rerun bosboot -a. it still showed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rs6000er
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

mondorestore

Hi Guys :) I am finding out the way to use mondorestore via command line only, no GUI. I am able to use mondoarchive in the same way but not mondorestore. can anybody help me out.... Thanks in advance! halides:b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halides
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Boot Sequence changed After Image Restore

Hello All, I backed up my RHEL 4 as an image. Then I restored the image on my machine. Everything went fine but I dont get the normal boot sequence as it used to come when I freshly installed RHEL4. The messages that are shown when the system boots are something like- " ..... EXT3-fs:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Grub.conf kernel field boot messages verbosity configuration

I am trying to understand what are the differences of boot messages verbosity levels for the kernel field in grub.conf From my research, there appear to be three levels: quiet verbose debug I have also found documents that specify removing quiet from the kernel field. If this is done, is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thaebich
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Custom-Spin doesnt boot to GUI when /etc/skel is changed

Heyas So i have my custom Fedora with AwesomeWM spin with alots of customizations using the kickstart method for a liveimage. A few weeks (2-3 months) ago, i've done some changes i cannot remember. Those changes made the image from bootable to gui, to not booting to gui any more. Just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Customized boot log messages

Hi all Many years ago, I found online this script that was incredibly funny and I had blogged it Unfortunately because of my poor record-keeping, I seem to have lost the shell script Would somebody be kind enough to tell me how to replicate this? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
0 Replies
virtual-filesystems(7)					 Miscellaneous Information Manual				    virtual-filesystems(7)

NAME
virtual-filesystems - event signalling that virtual filesystems have been mounted SYNOPSIS
virtual-filesystems [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The virtual-filesystems event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon after it has mounted all virtual filesystems listed in fstab(5). mountall(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. This event is typically used by services that must be started in order to mount other filesystems. When this event occurs, common filesys- tems such as /usr may not be mounted. For most normal services the filesystem(7) event is sufficient. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running once virtual filesystems are mounted might use: start on virtual-filesystems SEE ALSO
mounting(7) mounted(7) local-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) filesystem(7) mountall 2009-12-21 virtual-filesystems(7)