Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Arithmetic ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String Arithmetic ? Post 302336754 by hkansal on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 06:05:17 PM
Old 07-22-2009
String Arithmetic ?

Hello Experts,

In my shell I need to perform some simple subtraction on a value returned as a result of the "wc" command. The code:

Code:
scanFromLine="100"  ## This is returned as string as a result of some operation

totalLines=`wc -l "${latestLogFile}" | awk '{print $1}'` ## eg: 200

scanFromLine=`$(( ${totalLines} - ${scanFromLine} ))` ## this line throws an error

The error that I get is:
Code:
h1[227]: 200:  not found.

I am very positive that the error is not thrown because of the values being string. Please tell me my mistake here.

Regards,
HKansal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time arithmetic

Can anyone help please. I am writing a kourne shell script and I am unsure how to do the following: I have extracted a time string from a logfile, and I have another time string I want to compare it to to see if it's later than the time I'm comparing with. i.e. expectedSLA="23:00:00", ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csong2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script? thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic syntax

okay, I'm a complete beginner, and I keep getting stuck on the syntax here. I want to write a script where I read the current time as minutes and seconds, convert the minutes to seconds, and add the two, then redirect the output to a file. the command takes two arguments, which will also be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paprbagprincess
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use wc -l with arithmetic expression?

Folks, I am wondering that i can use something like this in one line. For example, $((cat filename > wc -l) / 2) It doesn't work; how to get it work using command substitution? Moreover, is there any option for wc -l not to return filename after the line counts? wc -l filename would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arithmetic operation

I am using egrep to extract numbers from a file and storing them as variables in a script. But I am not able to do any arithmetic operations on the variables using "expr" because it stores them as char and not integers. Here is my code and the error I get. Any help will be appreciated. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjayshaikh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in tcsh

Yes I know tcsh sucks for scripting and arithmetic but I have to write a script for multiple users and they all use tcsh. I have this variable that I 'set' with but pulling numbers off of stings with set STUFF = `grep string file | awk command` Now I would like to add up the numbers that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh arithmetic ?

Hello, Could someone explain how this one is possible: # @ x = 10 - 11 + 3 # echo $x -4 I know that writing script using csh is bad idea, but I need to write few lines. thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Invalid arithmetic operator on string concatenation

Hello. LEAP_VERSION="4.2" export ARRAY_MAIN_REPO_LEAP=('zypper_local' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Non-Oss' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Oss' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Update' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Update-Non-Oss')Seems that the - is interpreted as a numeric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic with bash

I need to divide the number of white spaces by total number of characters in a file using bash. I am able to get the number of white spaces correctly using: tr -cd < afile | wc -c I am also able to get the total number of characters using: wc -c afile How do I divide the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
CHECK_INT32_ADD(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					CHECK_INT32_ADD(3)

NAME
check_int32_add, check_uint32_add, check_int64_add, check_uint64_add, check_int32_sub, check_uint32_sub, check_int64_sub, check_uint64_sub, check_int32_mul, check_uint32_mul, check_int64_mul, check_uint64_mul, check_int32_div, check_uint32_div, check_int64_div, check_uint64_div, -- detect overflow in arithmetic SYNOPSIS
#include <checkint.h> int32_t check_int32_add(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_add(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_add(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_add(int x, int y, int *err); int32_t check_int32_sub(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_sub(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_sub(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_sub(int x, int y, int *err); int32_t check_int32_mul(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_mul(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_mul(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_mul(int x, int y, int *err); int32_t check_int32_div(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_div(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_div(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_div(int x, int y, int *err); DESCRIPTION
The check_<type>_<operation>(x, y, err) family of functions perform the specified arithmetic operation (addition, subtraction, multiplica- tion, or division) with the left operand of x and right operand of y and return the arithmetic result with the specified type. Either operand x or y (or both) can be of any type that is compatible to signed or unsigned 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit integers. The err argument is or'ed by flags in the function to indicate if an overflow has occurred. The possible flag values are: CHECKINT_NO_ERROR no overflow has occurred CHECKINT_OVERFLOW_ERROR overflow has occurred CHECKINT_TYPE_ERROR operand is of an incompatible type The err argument is not cleared in calls to the check_<type>_<operation>(x, y, err) functions. Detected overflow persists in the err argu- ment until err is reset to CHECKINT_NO_ERROR. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the check_<type>_<operation>() functions will return the arithmetic result of performing the operation with left operand x and right operand y (even when overflow error occurs). If any other error occurs, the return value is -1 and the argument err will be set to indicate the error. EXAMPLES
/* Create a variable to store overflow flag */ int32_t err = CHECKINT_NO_ERROR; /* Use checkint API to perform an arithmetic operation and * store result in variable. */ int32_t arithmetic_result = check_int32_add(UINT_MAX, 1, &err); /* Check status of overflow flag */ if (err & CHECKINT_OVERFLOW_ERROR) { /* Perform overflow resolution code */ fprintf(stderr, "Overflow detected! "); } /* Check for type error */ else if (err & CHECKINT_TYPE_ERROR) { /* Deal with incompatible types error */ fprintf(stderr, "Incompatible types! "); } /* Reset overflow flag for next operation */ err = CHECKINT_NO_ERROR; ERRORS
The check_<type>_<operation>() functions may fail if: [CHECKINT_TYPE_ERROR] operand is of an incompatible type HISTORY
The checkint() API was introduced in Mac OS X 10.5. BSD
April 20, 2007 BSD