Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED and replacing Txt Bullet
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED and replacing Txt Bullet Post 302336642 by NDxiak on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 01:51:32 PM
Old 07-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin
To keep the code concise ( as is ), in bash or the shell of your preference, you can do ...

Code:
#!/bin/bash

perl -pi -e 's/\xA5/replace/g' data.txt

Or if you want a pure perl script, then every step of that compact code will simply be spelled out in more detail ( a bit longer ), I can post it if you needed.
I would really appreciate that .. It would be great for future reference.

Thank You very much.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read x.txt and grep from y.txt

How would I write a command(s) to read from a file (list) that looks like this: 29847374384 and grep from a second file (list) that looks like this: 29847374384, jkdfkjdf,3833,ddd:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smellylizzard
1 Replies

2. AIX

Bullet proof of user history activity

Hi, is there a bullet proof of getting the history of all commands entered by a user on a specific server and idealy with the times ? We have several servers. Therefore we can simply logon to one and do RLOGINS to go to others. We always first logon to servers with our personnal login and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to cp lines x->y from 1.txt into lines a->b in file2.txt

I have one base file, and multiple target files-- each have uniform line structure so no need to use grep to find things-- can just define sections by line number. My question is quite simple-- can I use sed to copy a defined block of lines (say lines 5-10) from filename1.txt to overwrite an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czar21
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing a string with another string in a txt file

Dear all, I have a file like below. I want to replace all the '.' in the 3rd column with 'NA'. I don't know how to do that. Anyone has an iead? Thanks a lot! 8 70003200 21.6206 9 70005700 17.5064 10 70002200 . 11 70005100 19.1001 17 70008000 16.1970 32 70012400 26.3465 33... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed inside sed for replacing string

My need is : Want to change docBase="/something/something/something" to docBase="/only/this/path/for/all/files" I have some (about 250 files)xml files. In FileOne it contains <Context path="/PPP" displayName="PPP" docBase="/home/me/documents" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -Replacing file path within .txt file

Hi, I am trying to use sed to replace a file path within all the .lay (.txt) files in a folder. I feel that this should be easy but I can't get it to work no matter what i try. I'm using cygwin. For a .txt file containing the below line I want to replace this file path with a new one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing .dat.gz to .txt.gz in filename

Hi, I tried below method; mv -v /oracle1/scr/tilki/willsendtilkiNew/VOICE-MO_$nfname.gz \ $(echo /oracle1/scr/tilki/willsendtilkiNew/VOICE-MO_$nfname.gz | tr 'dat' 'txt'); nfame variable has the string "dat" . I need to rename files like below; ASIS: 20140902103700_100319.dat.gz... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snr_silencer
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)